Senior Game Designer
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our offices are based in Bromley, UK.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
As Splash Damage’s Senior Game Designer, you will be responsible for the game design of numerous critical features of a game, driving end-to-end implementation across the team. Helping to maintain and realise the vision, defining quality targets and validating the quality targets of others across the entire project, cross discipline.
You will work to create a unified game experience, communicating through documentation, presentations, and direct communication with your team. You will ensure all stakeholders have understanding and buy-in with your designs and provide the clarity that your team need to deliver their best work.
You will take the role of mentor and coach, supporting other designers on the team, and work with production to assist with planning and estimation of development tasks.
You will regularly be part of peer-reviews and be relied on to give clear critical feedback of those you work with, and correspondingly take on feedback from your team to help each other grow and improve.
To deliver the best player experience, you will be accountable for the testing and refinement of game features, analysing feedback from playtests, and data from game telemetry. You will support game features all the way from prototype to live service.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games.
- Deep player empathy, and an understanding of player motivation and behaviour.
- A strong, and broad understanding of game design concepts, with an emphasis on game systems.
- Industry experience in AAA game development in a senior role.
- The ability to work autonomously without close supervision.
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of industry trends in genres, gameplay, business models.
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Unity, or similar.
- Skilled in writing clear, concise design documentation.
- Adept at collaborative working.
- Applied maths skills to support systems design, analysis & balance.
- Strong problem-solving skills including lateral thinking.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters.
- Full development cycle within a current or previous generation PC or Console title.
- Unreal Blueprints, or scripting/programming skills.
- Experience of people-management and mentoring.
- Undergraduate degree in Game Design, Computer Science, Product Design, Psychology, or similar field.
- Games-as-a-Service experience, especially use of data to inform design decisions.
Splash Damage is an equal-opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work
when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an
an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.