Who we are
Our Mission is to inspire authentic and meaningful connections
Selina was born out of a desire to celebrate the nomadic lifestyle: to experience our planet’s most beautiful places, to build community, to engage with locals and fellow travellers, to work and enjoy new adventures.
What the role is
The Senior Workshop Manager (ULD) is an experienced creative leader, with knowledge on Furniture design and handcrafting - working with shop tools and machinery, leading the design and the production of the items under the workshop responsibility per project on time and best quality.
The Senior Workshop Manager is a responsible and organized manager that can attend to the coordination of activities and possess the sensibility to create amazing and innovative designs: the Selina Wow effect. The ideal workshop Manager has passion for upcycling and turning junk into wonders.
What you will be doing
- Choose the location of and equip the Workshop for the assigned Project
- Hire and manage local workers/builders for the duration of the project;
- Establish the workshop’s scope of work with an Interior Designer;
- Set a calendar for the deliverables of the Workshop in coordination with the Interior Designer and Development Project Manager;
- Work in conjunction with the Interior Designer on the Design Package, and transformation of existing inventory, to create the 'Wow effect' of each Selina project;
- Design and prototype objects for each project - ensure uniqueness of each project and not repeat designs.
- Oversee the Workshop's budget in conjunction with the project's HR & Accounting Supervisor and Development Project Manager / Project Coordinator, including:
- Weekly check-ins on the budgets with Site Manager
- Following through with site managers and accounting on payment requests.
- Hand over receipts from purchases
- Identify stores/vendors that will supply the workshop during the project, with which Selina can establish a credit line;
- Ensure each project is getting a post at @NowIMake
- Order/purchase materials and supplies with support from project’s HR & Accounting Supervisor;
- Lead a team in maintaining a functional, clean, and productive workshop
- Repair shop tools and manage the use of equipment;
- Identify a potential WSM from the hired Builders and train this person to become a Workshop Manager.
- Upcycle up to 80% of the inventory to reuse at Selina.
- Always think of cost reduction and buying junk ahead of time for maximum efficiency.
- Curate and provide artists and makers for the Art Residency Program.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Project Coordination team;
- Recruits and trains new Workshop Managers; Ensure each Selina project under the region has Workshop Manager on time - might travel for on-boarding purposes.
- Support regional Workshop Managers with ongoing technical challenges, building proposals per project and inspirations.
- Supports developing the global creative team strategy and expansion plans as forming partnerships, standards and creative brand awareness activations.
What you need for the role
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma / GED Certification
- Minimum of 2 year of managerial experience
- Experience with construction and power tools
- Preferred experience in furniture construction
- Preferred experience in furniture finishing
- Managerial: 2 years (Required)
- Construction: 2 years (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
What can you expect
- No dress code
- Pet-friendly (as long as your pet is friendly)
- Multiple online training opportunities
- Cultural events and wellness activities at Locations. Volunteering with Selina Gives Back; because sharing is caring