Customer Service Event Associate (Part-Time)
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
At New York Road Runners, we are committed to building an inclusive, diverse workplace by finding the best candidate for the job. We understand that skills come from a variety of different backgrounds. Checking off every single requirement on our job description is not necessary to apply. If you think you are a good fit and have a passion for the work we do, please submit your application. We are eager to learn about your experience and skills! You may be the right candidate for this or other open positions.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
Our Event Development and Production department develops and produces NYRR events from concept all the way through execution in a way that fulfills NYRR’s mission. NYRR produces 56 races per year, in addition to the TCS New York City Marathon, and additional events within each race. The events team is responsible for physical site management, volunteer management, hospitality and special events, safety & security, and managing our Warehouse and all race collateral.
About the Position
This position will report to the Director of Event Staffing & Training, and at events will report to the Event Manager and/or the Area Lead(s). This position is responsible for providing on-site operational support and volunteer management for NYRR weekly events including the TCS New York City Marathon, United Airlines New York City Half, and Popular Brooklyn Half. NYRR races are held most weekends throughout the year.
- Baggage Operations – Baggage operators will facilitate the bag check process and support racers by guarding personal items while races are in progress. Must be attentive to detail to ensure that participants receive their belongings post-race.
- Course Marshall Captains – Course Marshall Captains work closely with Volunteers to uphold safety and direct the flow of traffic for runners and the public. They ensure that runners adhere to the course to avoid disqualification, and that vehicles and pedestrians do not impede the race.
- Marshall Captains – Marshall Captains supports the Start & Finish areas of each race. They ensure that runners are in the correct groups, and usher them to the start line. At the Finish area, Marshall Captains help keep the flow of runner traffic, so the finish line isn’t blocked.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist with managing volunteers at races and events.
- Responsible for crowd control and public interaction. Must be very vocal, outgoing, and willing to direct volunteers, participants, and the public in a courteous, professional manner that represents NYRR well at all times.
- Responsible for reporting NYRR rule violations, and medical emergencies at events.
- This is a weekend position with long hours (typically from 6am – 1pm; may vary based on event and/or position). Races are scheduled for most weekends throughout the year; must have consistent availability for this role.
- Excellent customer service approach and positive attitude are a must. Must be comfortable working with new and diverse groups of people on a regular basis.
- Must be comfortable on your feet, outside in the elements, for the duration of the shift.
- Must have a strong customer service background; event experience in the sports and/or entertainment industries, is preferred but not required.
- Flexibility to navigate between roles depending on need for each race.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team-oriented environment. Must be proactive, responsible, attentive, hardworking, and professionally courteous to all runners, spectators, and park patrons.
- Must be able to follow directions and protocols to ensure that tasks flow seamlessly.
- Must be able to lift at least 25 pounds of equipment.
- Hourly Rate: $22.00
- Paid lunch break with lunch provided
- Transportation reimbursement
- New Balance uniform gear
NYRR requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer