Consultant-Middle East Proposal Development-Remote
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps’ Middle East team continues to respond to the humanitarian and development needs with focus on resilience with programs across Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, and Yemen. With a commitment to deliver quality programs that impact, influence, and innovate at a regional as well as country level, the team’s regional structure provides support to the country offices in advancement of both individual country priorities and the collective regional strategy. This includes a New Initiatives Specialist who keeps track of the new business opportunities pursued in the region and supports on the more complex, strategic, and high value bids.
Purpose / Project Description:
Given the high volume of new business opportunities already underway and forecasted for Spring/Summer 2021, the Middle East Regional Team is looking for an experienced international development professional with a track record of strong program design and deep proposal development and writing experience with a variety of donors (including, but not limited to the United States Agency for International Development and the U.K. Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) to support drafting quality submissions for diverse funding opportunities across the region.
The Consultant will provide strong technical design and writing inputs, as needed, for both humanitarian and development response proposals and strategy papers. This will be best achieved by someone with a clear understanding of the shifting dynamics across the Middle East and deep knowledge of proposal writing techniques for an array of major U.S. and European donors. The Consultant should be ready to work collaboratively with the team on the ground, and flexible to support work in the time zones that span the region.
Consultant Required Experience and Skills:
- 10+ years of experience and proven track record in successful program design, development, and implementation for various donors; experience with development as well as humanitarian proposal writing
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong understanding of the Middle East context and Mercy Corps’ approach to programming in the region
- filter unfamiliar applicants and save time - and/or push the applicant to educate themselves before applying
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines
- BA/S or equivalent required; Master’s degree in international development or a related field preferred
- Native-level spoken and written English; Arabic a plus
Broadly, activities will take the form of strategic pre-positioning efforts for large, complex bids, as well as immediate writing support for proposals that are already under development. This could include:
- Providing technical input into proposal design for development bids focused on strengthening civil society and governance; empowering youth; strengthening women’s leadership; and supporting media organizations
- Drafting context and technical approach sections for these proposals
- Drafting context or needs assessment sections of humanitarian response programs, including proposals focused on WASH, shelter, multi-purpose cash assistance, and protection
- Serving as a “consolidating” writer for either development or humanitarian response proposals to ensure the document flows clearly and coherently
- Writing strategic papers or concepts in alignment with country or regional strategy priorities, as requested by the Deputy Regional Director
Deliverables will be determined based on the specific proposal development needs as determined by the Regional Team during the period of performance. Throughout the consultancy, the Consultant will:
- Draft and submit on time high quality writing for assigned proposal sections, as needed
- Provide on time detailed reviews and strong edits to submissions to ensure coherence and logical flow
- Actively participate in design workshops to help teams develop and refine strong technical approaches, as needed
Timeframe / Schedule:
March 15 - June 30, 2021
The Consultant will report to:
The Regional New Initiatives Specialist, with a dotted line to the Middle East Deputy Regional Director.
The Consultant will work closely with:
Country Directors/Deputy Country Directors/Country Technical Teams involved in the proposal writing process; Global New Initiatives team members, as needed; Technical Support Unit team members, as needed.
Mercy Corps Diversity Statement
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.