SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR/ ENGINEER - Information Technology
*This position is based in Portland, OR. US work authorization is required.About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.Program / Department Summary
The Information Technology team coordinates, facilitates, and supports the agency’s use of technology and telecommunications to improve organizational agility and to achieve agency goals. The IT staff provides planning support and technical assistance to new and existing Mercy Corps country programs. The staff also works to strengthen the agency’s abilities to use Internet-based information services, including its abilities to model and transfer these services to local partners.General Position Summary
The Systems Administrator Engineer participates in all phases of infrastructure setup, administration and support of Linux and Windows servers. They improve the availability, supportability, and security of servers, networks, and applications. They contribute in developing and administering our M365 environment, as well as our cloud presence in Azure / AWS. This position will have a significant role in the formation and implementation of a global information security program based on the Center For Internet Security (CIS) controls and protocols.Essential Job Responsibilities
- Work independently to manage Linux and Windows servers using automated tools for provisioning, configuration management, patch management, and virtualization management.
- Administer and provide technical expertise for all Office 365 applications including Exchange, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint, Office Web Apps, Power Apps, MS Forms, Project
- Provide support for Office 365 Exchange, Collaboration Services tools, software and automation
- Provide back-up support for administering and maintaining network equipment, including firewalls, routers, and switches.
- Provide backup support for Virtual environments including computer storage and networking.
- Ensure secure operation of all servers and services through the use of security and encryption tools such as SSH and SSL.
- Contribute to the development and implement of Information Security policies and protocols based on CIS controls.
- Determine security violations and inefficiencies by conducting periodic audits.
- Implement security improvements by assessing current situations, evaluating trends, and anticipating requirements.
- Develop, implement and administer cloud migration infrastructure in AWS / Azure: IaaS, SaaS, PaaS.
- Monitor system logs and activity on all servers.
- Document and log all changes to system software and configurations.
- Identify, maintain, and use software tools for network operations and management as necessary.
- Provide technical support for source code control system and issue tracking system.
- Other duties as assigned.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Manager, Global Infrastructure and Support
Works Directly With: IT management and staff & others as needed
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience with Linux server administration
- 5+ years experience with Windows server administration (AD, DNS, Group Policy)
- 2+ years experience with virtualization infrastructure, preferably VMware
- 2+ years experience with version control system, preferably Git
- 2+ years experience with network and wireless administration, preferably Cisco Meraki
- 2+ years Administering M365 environment (Exchange Online, Teams, SharePoint Online)
- Must have strong understanding of network security, threat protection and prevention
- Must have strong understanding of cloud computing architecture
- Knowledge in one or more scripting languages strongly desired
The Systems Administrator Engineer will be able to work independently and collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams. They will be an effective verbal and written communicator, and have the ability to prioritize and manage work according to critical project timelines. They will be highly organized, detail oriented, and able to put big ideas into a tangible form. They will have strong technical and analytical skills, and be able to develop new approaches to complex integration and interfacing problems. A sense of humor is greatly appreciated.Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position will be based in Portland, OR. Travel will be limited.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/short term assignment to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.Ongoing Learning
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and developmentDiversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.