Senior Director, Mass Market Fundraising
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
The mission of the Resource Development (RD) department is to advance the organization’s strategic goals and support our worldwide team by raising funds, profile and influence. The RD team encompasses several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of expertise. We are gift officers, direct response fundraisers, web developers, marketers and media relations strategists. We are database managers, digital specialists, creative designers, storytellers and teachers. Most of all, we are passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and believe a better world is possible. It is critical that in all of our work, we represent Mercy Corps in an authentic way that represents our best work, culture, global team and partners.
General Position Summary
The Sr. Director Mass Market Fundraising leads Mercy Corps’ individual fundraising team, which manages the donor life cycle of individuals giving up to $10,000 annually. With the primary goal of building a sustainable base of unrestricted financial support for Mercy Corps, the Mass Market Fundraising team engages prospects and supporters through a multi-channel, user-driven approach, delivering information that represents Mercy Corps’ best work and global culture, on key issues that donors care about. The Sr. Director Mass Mark Fundraising will lead the team to develop new, creative ways of engaging with a diverse demographic of donors based on their interests and giving trends, allowing Mercy Corps to stand apart from its peers.
Essential Job ResponsibilitiesSTRATEGY & VISION
- Lead Mercy Corps’ integrated mass market fundraising strategy, which includes digital fundraising and marketing, mid-level donor cultivation, who has experience in direct mail acquisition and renewal, peer-to-peer fundraising, and monthly giving, toward a current gross annual goal of more than $25 million. They will also lead the MMF team to develop new, creative ways and approaches that motivates donors to join Mercy Corps, with strategies that are ahead of the traditional fundraising curve.
- In collaboration with the rest of the RD leadership team, develop strategy and plan for diversifying and growing Mercy Corps’ mass market donor file in demographics, size and revenue.
- Work with other RD team leaders – including leaders of other fundraising teams, brand marketing teams and the VP of Development – to coordinate fundraising activities and ensure consistency of branding and messaging is in line with the culture of Mercy Corps.
- Work closely with Major Gifts team in collaboration of donor advancement goals; Corporate team in conjunction with cause marketing strategies; Brand marketing managing digital campaigns; and more. Team integration and innovation are critical for this role.
- Prepare annual budget and audience plan for the mass market fundraising strategy, advocating for inputs and desired outcomes at the broader organizational level.
- Work with head of development operations and outside consultants to provide consistent analysis of trends in Mercy Corps’ donor base and the fundraising industry to RD team, and recommend strategies based on that analysis.
- Oversee and mentor mass market audience leads, who are responsible for developing a multi-channel engagement strategy for monthly recurring donors, mid-level donors ($1,000 - $9,999), fundraisers, and individuals giving less than $1,000 per year.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Provide team members with the information, tools and resources to improve performance, try new approaches & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence and are accepting of environments that apt to change and evolve.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Senior Fundraising Strategist – Mass Market Fundraising, Mid-level Giving and Donor Advancement Manager, Direct Response and Monthly Giving Manager, and other Mass Market support roles
- Reports Directly To: VP Development
- Works Directly With: Senior Director of Brand Marketing, Director of Development Operations and Analytics, Director of Digital Optimization, Director of Content Strategy, Director of Communications, Managing Director Corporate Partnerships, Managing Director of Major Gifts, Managing Director of Foundation Partnerships
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum of 10 years in progressive experience within marketing, development and/or fundraising roles
- 5 or more years supervisory experience
- Excellent communications skills: verbal and written
- Experience managing full P&L and development of budgets
- Experience evaluating and implementing technologies that drive donor engagement
- Track record of leveraging innovative methods for fundraising
- Ability to lead and communicate high-level strategies as well as dig into the tactics to test and validate assumptions.
- Strong background in data analysis and reporting with an ability to distill complex information
- Success building and leading high-performing teams
- Experience working in the international relief and development sector preferred
- Experience with MS Office and other relevant software.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills.
Possessing the ability to think fast and act fast, with a strong background in customer/donor experience, the ideal candidate will be able to foresee opportunities to improve and proactively address the donor journey. They must have the ability to evaluate complex data and information and translate these findings to teammates and leadership. Someone who has experience working in matrix-organizations, cross-functional teams and collaborative leadership skills are key. Moving quickly in times of urgent need, They will be able to intuitively judge moments of opportunity and activate against them. An entrepreneurial spirit and creative mind are key.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Portland, Oregon. Some evenings/weekends required during emergency responses. Some travel required within the US. Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/short term assignment to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity is powerful. To achieve transformational change, we seek out team members with different origins, beliefs, backgrounds and ways of thinking. Diversity helps us unlock complexity.