Consultant-Curriculum Development - Retail Ready-Remote
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
As the U.S. field office of Mercy Corps, Mercy Corps Northwest (MCNW) works to build more just, productive and resilient communities in the Pacific NW. Our programs support up to 2,100 small business owners each year; reduce prison re-entry rates for participants by 50%; improve services at more than 30 local nonprofits; and support under resourced communities with disaster preparedness knowledge.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps Northwest’s Education Department serves entrepreneurs and small business owners looking to launch or expand their business through education and training. The Education Department is seeking to expand its educational offerings and repurpose existing content/develop new curriculum into self-paced e-learnings.
The Retail Ready curriculum will include, but not be limited to, the following topics:
- Supply chain management under normal conditions and how to adapt for COVID-19 and similar disasters or crises - business owners can refer to the information on supply chain under normal conditions and only refer to supplemental adaptations under crises when needed
- Life Cycle of the Small Business Owner-> Vendor-> Business Owner-> Customer
- Maintaining vendor relationships during COVID-19 and how taking care of suppliers, vendors, and distributors now is critical for future business
- Proper packaging, cleaning, safety and hygiene practices for those who are shipping products during COVID-19
- Supply Chain Information specifically for clients pivoting to online sales, looking at 1) Online presence/adapting a brand to an online platform and effectively using social media platforms; and 2) Adapt business plan and supply chain practices for after COVID-19, to decide what parts of online business will continue and can they use for future disasters/crises.
- Wholesale versus retail, getting your product on store shelves and online marketplaces.
The consultant will be responsible for the complete development for a course in Retail Ready. This will include researching the topic for industry norms and best practices, drafting a course outline, developing the course curriculum and all accompanying instructional and training materials, testing the course for effectiveness, and modifying based on feedback.
The Consultant will:
- Prepare course outline
- Develop course curriculum and accompanying materials
- Run pilot of course, soliciting feedback
- Modify and finalize curriculum after assessment of learner objectives have been met
Timeframe / Schedule:
All deliverables are expected to be complete by June 15, 2021.
The Consultant will report to:
MCNW Women Business Center Manager
The Consultant will work closely with:
WBC Team, Training Coordinator and Curriculum Committee.
Required Experience & Skills:
- Demonstrated teaching and/or facilitation of the adult learner, knowledge and or experience of small business startup issues
- BA/S or equivalent in business, finance, banking, community development, economics and/or other relevant field or entrepreneurial experience. (Professional work at or near the level of this position can substitute year for year for the educational requirement.)
- 3 years experience in delivering educational programming, including curriculum development and evaluation, training and recruiting other teaching professionals
- Knowledge and experience in working with or operating small businesses will be a critical advantage
- Superior written skills and proven experience utilizing these skills professionally
- Strong problem solver with ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a team
- Effective verbal and written communication skills as well as computer skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, work independently and cooperatively with team members is required
Mercy Corps Diversity Statement
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.