Temporary Fundraising Operations Officer - Edinburgh, UK
Duration: 6 months with possible extension
Salary: Edinburgh: circa 24K
Closing Date: apply with CV and Cover Letter before October 24th 2021
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly in terms of volume of activity and complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London and Geneva, we now attract over £90m in income, and employ around 100 domestic and expatriate field team members. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
The Fundraising team plays a key role in Mercy Corps, generating income and raising our profile. MCE’s Fundraising team has ambitious goals to increase private fundraising across the UK and continental Europe to support our agency goals around humanitarian aid, development and peacebuilding.
As a key member of the Fundraising team, the Fundraising Operations Officer will support the wider Fundraising team by ensuring efficient and effective processing of gifts, Gift Aid claims, providing accurate segmented data selections, campaign analysis and a variety of income reports.
We are looking for an ambitious individual with Fundraising experience, who is interested in a career in the NGO sector. This is an opportunity to be involved in fundraising work that is fast-paced, and to be part of a diverse, dedicated team of people who are genuinely motivated by making a difference. You will be someone with a positive, can-do approach, who enjoys the pressure of working together as a team to tight deadlines.
- Monitor data input (Raiser's Edge)
- Manage internal and external data cleaning
- Run monthly database diagnostics
- Assist with Database training
GIFT PROCESSING AND GIFT AID CLAIMS
- Assist with gift processing (including the handling of cash) and maintenance of appropriate records e.g. batches, paper files, and other records related to financial contributions. Accurately and efficiently recording all gifts on our supporter database (Raiser’s Edge).
- Assist with the acknowledgement and thanking of all gifts as needed.
FINANCE AND REPORTING
- Work with the Finance team to reconcile monthly income
- Monitor and report on KPI’s
- Manage and process Gift Aid claims
- Manage month end gifts process
- Run monthly income and weekly pledge reports
- Manage imports and exports of gift data
SELECTIONS AND ANALYSIS
- Produce targeted selection briefs for mailings, emails etc
- Produce accurate, segmented data selections and segmented email lists on ActionKit (email marketing system)
- Produce basic campaign analysis
- Support with application to small Trusts
- Legacy administration
- Feed into and assist with the implementation of supporter journeys in conjunction with the Individual Giving, Digital, Community teams
- Remain vigilant of Data Protection Regulations, Fundraising Regulator Legislation and GDPR Legislation and ensure teams compliance
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable experience of working with a fundraising or similar CRM or relational database (with substantial volume of records and variety of interactions) for marketing, engagement and/or fundraising to input data, extract reports and conduct analysis. Experience of the Raiser’s, including its event package would be highly desirable.
- Comprehensive knowledge of, MS Excel, MS Access or other data manipulation packages.
- Experience of producing selection briefs and running data segmentation and data selection for mailing, telemarketing and e-mail campaigns.
- Experience of cleaning, manipulating and importing data to be used in mass market communications.
- An awareness of reporting on performance measures and the ability to interpret results and use this data to conduct direct marketing tests and learn from the outcomes.
- Practical knowledge and understanding of the GDPR and Data Protection legislative
- Experience of processing gifts and Gift Aid (desirable).
- A logical thinker with strong problem solving, statistical and analytical skills
- A strong eye for detail
- Ability to manage and deliver complex projects involving multiple partners to deadline.
- Demonstrable research or analysis skills.
- ● Able to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships. Strong team worker.
- Able to cope with changing priorities, often at short notice, and work well under pressure.
- Proactive and solutions-based attitude.
- High levels of motivation, professionalism and resilience.
- Skilled in anticipating and solving problems and communicating issues, involving others as needed.
- An exposure to and interest in international development issues is important, along with an empathy for MC's mission.
The position is based in Edinburgh and may require some minimal travel.
MCE team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Mercy Corps locations.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.