Head of Early Childhood & Lower School
- Oversees day-to-day operations of the CECE & Lower School division, Grades pk1 through 5.
- Observes, supervises, and helps evaluate the faculty in the development and implementation of the LMPS Academic Plan; supervises the teaching process and reviews and evaluates the academic programs.
- Collaborates, supervises, and supports directors, and guides the academic program PreK-12, including curriculum implementation, faculty hiring and evaluation, professional development, and academic schedule.
- Serves as the educational and instructional leader of the division, responsible for its day-to-day operations; directs and supports the activities of the members of the faculty and staff in the performance of their duties.
- Direct supervision and evaluation of faculty and staff within division; Articulates and measures performance of faculty related to school’s professional standards and goals, department goals, course objectives, materials, methods and means of assessment.
- Establishes programs for the orientation of new teachers, in-service training; conducts regular meetings with faculty; coaches individual faculty members on classroom performance and provides necessary feedback and resources for teacher professional growth.
- Collaborates with Director of Curriculum on implementation of LMPS curriculum and best instructional practices and building strong professional learning communities
- Functions as the primary voice of the Lower School division’s mission, programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed.
- Creates and maintains approved budget and plans and spends accordingly.
- Ensures alignment of all school activities and programs with Léman Manhattan mission, vision, and values.
- Provides a safe environment in which learning can take place, a school climate which is supportive, inclusive and reflects his school’s mission and core values.
- Maintains a visible presence on campus.
- Collaborate with faculty to monitor student academic progress
- Utilizes assessment data effectively in decision making
- Coordinates and plans grade level meetings and various faculty committees
- Creates and maintains master schedule for CECE & Lower School.
- Facilitates team meetings and professional development for curriculum and instruction aligned with school goals
- Ensures compliance with legal regulations; maintains the education standards for school accreditation.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy educational environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures, complying with school, and legal regulations.
- Makes recommendations to the Head of School regarding the hire, retention, and assignment of faculty.
- Assists in the admission process for the testing, interviewing, and evaluation of applicants for enrollment, as well as admissions events.
- Values and nurtures appropriate, meaningful family involvement in their children’s education.
- Contributes as a member of Administrative Collaborative Team and Curriculum Council.
- Maintains an open-door policy with families, students, faculty and staff.
- Creates an environment of collaboration through respect and recognition of individual differences and the special abilities and strengths of each teacher and staff member.
- Creates an optimal faculty culture and teaching practices across the school, involving collaborating with other division and department heads to design and instill best practices.
- Collaborates with the After-School director in the development and facilitation of the after-school programs
- Coordinates the planning and the presentation of school assemblies and programs; assists in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of school events; keeps the school community informed of various school programs and activities.
- Facilitates meaningful student reporting and family/student/teacher conferencing
- Ensures maintenance of complete academic records for all students.
- Ensures buildings are clean, safe and in good repair, reports problems as necessary and works collaboratively with maintenance and security staff.
Qualities and Experiences
Education: Master’s Degree in field of education and leadership
Minimum three years’ experience in a principal (or equivalent) role
Experience in Early Childhood and Lower School education
Relevant experiences desired:
- Administrative experience in a high-performing school
- Teaching experience
- Experience interpreting and using standardized test data to inform instruction, and personal learning plans
- Knowledge and experience developing and accessing curriculum, using curriculum mapping software
- Experience with Responsive Classroom; Teachers College Reading and Writing Project; and inquiry-based teaching and learning, IB Approaches to Teaching and Learning preferred
- Experience with integration of instructional technology
- Excellent written communication, public speaking, and presentation skills
- Strong skills in leadership and management
- Student-centered in thought and action
- Global mindedness; multi-cultural sensitivity
- Technology skills
- Collaborative management style