Country Signature Program Technical Lead
Job ID 534
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of disability.
Reporting to the Country Director, the Country Signature Program Technical Lead will autonomously provide strategic technical Signature Progams leadership and implementation. S/he will be responsible for Signature Program design for the needed Permanency, Scale and Impact taking a strong Co-Design and Partnership with both internal and external stakeholder collaborative inclusion. S/he will be a Market Systems & Value Chain expert. The post holder must have strong understanding and practical hands on experience on Access to Finance, Access/Route to Market, Cooperative Movement Capability building as well as Co-designing. Business Acumen and management will be an orientation critical for the much-needed systemic management and effective leadership.
S/he will also be responsible for signature program implementation, donor reporting and field level management, while ensuring highest standards in compliance with obligations and results according to signed agreements. S/he therefore enforces quality assurance with programs and is responsible for the quality and performance of work of all relevant Signature Program staff, sub-recipients and sub-contract service providers. In addition, s/he will build capacity/capability for signature programming in the country office collaboratively with the Regional Signature Program Team,
The post holder will carefully lead the Signature Program in country in alignment with country strategy and programmatic vision for enhanced achievement of program objectives. S/he will focus on management, communication, team building, strategy and drive towards sustainability that achieves scale, permanence and impact through long-term partnerships.The Country Signature Program Technical Lead, will report to the Country Director with a dotted reporting line to the Signature Program Technical Director – Africa for technical leadership.
Essential Character Traits
Drives results, detailed-oriented, self driven, accountable, manages complex environments, excellent and effective communication, resourcefulness, manages conflict, team player.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Technical Signature Programming in Country (40%)
- Lead Signature Program design for the Country Program
- Signature Program Co-Design after agreement with the Country Director who remains in charge of Relationship Building and Program Funding Partnerships
- Ensure the use of a market system approach in the design of the country’s Signature Programme design
- Identify opportunities to integrate pathways for access to finance with the Signature Program design
- Lead on Value Chain analysis to inform Country Programmatic Strategic position and Signature Program design
- Build co-designing relationships for in-country signature programming effectiveness (set up right from the onset)
- Collect and analyze program data, capture and share lessons learnt and best practice for specific projects, to facilitate improvement in decisions
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategies, standards, tools and best practice in Program Quality, that effectively engage partners, donors, and governments agencies.
- Provide strategic leadership for Country Signature Programming design, goal setting, goal cascading and business beview processes against outcomes.
- Excellent management of agreed program outcomes/impact against agreed schedules and budgets including delivery against agreed Service Level Agreements with various Stakeholders (internal and external).
- Maintain excellent oversight of all program components and meet expectations for program successes and impact.
- Ensure application of best standards, best practice, partnership principles, processes and tools, towards high-quality. implementation of signature programs.
- Develop and implement strategies, standards, tools and best practice in program quality, that effectively engage partners, donors, and governments.
- In consultation with Country Director and the Regional Signature Program Techncal team, creatively design initiatives that uphold and improve program quality, innovation and learning on signature programs.
- Provide technical leadership for the preparation, design, submission and approval of project concepts and full-fledged proposals.
- Act as in-country technical proposal developer, while integrating donor strategies, priorities and technical requirements into Heifer’s approach.
- Roll out capacity strengthening initiatives in Program Quality for staff and partners, develop learning and training strategies and agenda, conducting trainings and workshops.
- Analyze program data, capture and share lessons learnt and best practice for specific projects, to facilitate improvement in decisions.
- For effective co-design outcomes, enable strong relationships with donors, peer organizations, research and other institutions, towards enhancing program quality and impact.
- Monitor and provide feedback on program quality through regular team meetings, field visits and regular communication.
- Ensure that rogram Managers and Coordinators execute approved workplan activities and operations in response to technical direction and recommend appropriate adjustments to achieve program objectives.
- Carry out Country Signature Progam Internal Audits and effectively manage program risks in each phase of program implementation in a timely manner, to ensure fulfillment of objectives.
- Ensure accountability and compliance for donor requirements.
- Ensure the provision of program related reports and make presentations, as may be required.
- Ensure adherence to set compliance standards within Heifer and donor program and project guidelines and standards, including transparency, policy compliance, accountability, communication with HQ, donors and external constituencies.
- Enable new partnerships and nurture existing ones.
- Effectively maintain strong communication with all the relevant stakeholders throughout program implementation and successfully manage a matrix program management structure when necessary
- Develop and adopt standardized approaches, practices, tools and measurements in partnership and capacity strengthening.
- Guide in-country program team, in the development of comprehensive plans and materials, development and implementation of capacity strengthening strategies in the Signature Program area.
- Identify and ensure the creation of strong inter-organizational networks and efforts to strengthen the capacities of local partners.
- Represent Heifer Africa in external professional fora and with donor agencies in support of resource acquisition for capacity building.
- Ensure all program teams to develop annual budgets and workplans, consistent with program documents and donor contracts.
- Provide support to program teams in undertaking the necessary review and updating of the workplans and budgets to respond to any emerging field implementation challenges and program review processes.
- In liaison with the Finance department, undertake quarterly budget monitoring and variance analysis with all Program.
- Managers, while reviewing and tracking spending to adhere to annual budgets.
- Ensure Program Managers and entire Country office plan and undertake corrective management actions arising out
- of budget monitoring reports.
- Approve program related requests for imprest and reconciliation, in line withwork plans and financial management
- Ensure compliance with Heifer International policies and procedures and other accountability standards throughtrainings, event participation and field visits.
- Liaise with the Regional Signature Program Technical teams on behalf of country program with regard to Signature Programs.
- Ensure Signature Program proposals and concept notes are entered into HQ tracking systems, to avoid delay in activation.
- Ensure adequate development, implementation, evaluation and systematization of signature programs by country office.
- Obtain and review signature program monitoring and evaluation reports from the field offices and make recommendations.
- Maintain Signature Program files and documents.
F. Any Other Assigned Function (5%)
- May perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of ten (10) to fifteen (15) years of signature program management experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in managing the design and co-designing of large and complex programs using a Market systems, value chain development.
- Experience working with governments, private sector, local and international institutions.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- At least seven (7) years in technical program leadership.
- At least five (5) years in management.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of strategic planning, program and project development and implementation processes (including planning, monitoring and evaluation).
- Knowledge and work experience in agriculture and community development in a developing country context (market systems, value chains, access to market, access to finance, etc).
- Excellent knowledge on monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills including strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of grant acquisition and management.
- Basic knowledge of finance controls and systems.
- Proficiency in basic statistics sufficient to analyze data.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, database and electronic mail software (Microsoft preferred).
- Strong English language skills – oral and written.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Ability to produce accurate documents in a well-designed and effective format with clear attention to detail.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability and willingness to extensively travel 30% of the time both domestically and internationally.
- Ability to develop and present training materials.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.