Program Officer - Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
Job ID 932
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of specially-abled.
The Program Officer - Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) will be responsible for supporting and managing monitoring, evaluation, learning and systems (MELS) and ensuring quality data for the country program and projects, to identify innovative ways to measure project impact. S/he will be expected to build the capacity of program staff and cooperative members to ensure that performance indicators and output, outcome and impact data are prepared and collected properly in targeted geographic and thematic areas as stated in the MELS guidelines.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES: (including approximate percentage effort)
Support MELS and Program in scaling up program impact (30%):
- Ensure the proper use of available digital tools and technology for effective data management and reporting.
- Assist in the collection and management of data to support needs assessment, project design, project logical framework design and target setting, and progress management.
- Support and coordinate project baseline and regular monitoring to track project progress and evaluations as per the MELS plan.
- Work with implementing partners for preparation of a Project Implementation Plan (PIP) or Detail Implementation Plan (DIP).
- Support and coordinate Heifer wide research for learning when needed.
- Provide technical guidance and support in the implementation of the overall monitoring, learning, and evaluation framework in line with signature programs and ensure that key outcomes are achieved.
- Provide training on data collection and input, information systems and standards to colleagues and project staff at all levels, both in person and online.
- Actively participate and provide input into the program/project planning process and budgeting for the effectiveness of program/project quality.
- Ensure that implementation of field activities adheres to Heifer’s MELS guidelines.
Contribute to program effectiveness: design monitoring, evaluation, learning and systems for country specific projects (20%):
- Determine the primary data and information elements that are required internally and externally to support the project.
- Coordinate the preparation of Letters of Agreements, MOUs and contracts.
- Support in executing project revisions and reforecasting.
- Support the development of project results frameworks and logical frameworks for all new projects.
- Review and adjust MELS plans and targets, tools and processes as needed.
- Revise and develop data collection tools and plans and support the evaluation and analysis of dataset processes for all required information, ensuring high quality data.
- Ensure the operationalization of a detailed PIP at the sub-award level.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders and Heifer Bangladesh teams in project design and budgeting.
- Conduct periodic field verification.
Data management, analysis, and utilization for learning (20%):
- Understand, document, and ensure the quality of high-value data for accuracy, consistency and comparability.
- Consolidate operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis and design and implement sustainable information management and dissemination systems for data collection.
- Assist to manage all data properly, present in a clean form, analyze to use for project management, learning, and to meet reporting needs.
- Implement proper backup, restoration, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Propose and implement upgrades to the database webpage, data entry and data storing systems.
- Provide maintenance and end user technical support in issues relating to database use and administration, including troubleshooting for data entry and access to the existing database.
- Revise the guidelines for use of the database.
- Develop ways of communicating messages and issues and transforming them into online or web-based products.
- Participate in the development, implementation and management of new indicators.
- Serve as data liaison, sending and receiving data between various database platforms (Outcome Tracker, etc.).
Learning, sharing, and contribution to the effectives of the program (15%):
- Produce and update information products such as maps, charts and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline as well as support strategic and operational decision-making.
- Support in the development of reporting templates and procedures as well as reports, such as situation reports and briefing papers for government, donors, partners and other stakeholders.
- Revise the method of correspondence and communication between data management staff and external stakeholders.
- Build the capacity of project partners for operationalization of the Project M&E system.
- Assist to coordinate with area and HQ MELS teams to keep them updated on MELS activities, and to understand stakeholder needs.
- Support research and evaluation initiatives in the country.
- Compile and review the monthly numerical report and send to management with feedback.
- Assist in networking with other development organizations, governments, and other line agencies in promoting Heifer’s development model/initiatives, and potential collaborations.
- Support partners in improving learning and sharing mechanisms in the projects.
- Work collaboratively with different programs for strengthening integration and cross-learning in programs.
Reporting and documentation (15%):
- Coordinate with field staff for the periodic update of data into the program management system and carry out field verification and validation of data.
- Periodically track progress against PIP/DIP.
- Coordinate the annual outcome monitoring study.
- Develop all required periodic reports for donors and other stakeholders, and management.
- Collect and prepare periodic case stories of project beneficiaries.
- Assist to prepare project outputs and financial expenditure reports and communicate with field staff on project specific reports.
- Ensure that the stewardship report is prepared and communicated to concerned staff and stakeholders.
- Closely track and maintain proper filing of digital and paper documents in the program software.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies, Business Administration, Computer Science, Economics and any other social science related field is required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation and/or database development and management with at least 2 years with some international organization is an asset.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience designing, developing and managing databases.
- Understanding of the current MELS trends and especially MELS systems in development organizations.
- Strong experience in project log-frame development.
- Good analytical and research skills and ability to verify information.
- Good command over report writing in English.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Time management and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Skills with Microsoft Office package, internet browser, and other appropriate technology.
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside the country.
- May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
- Able to effectively promote Heifer’s mission values, and objectives.
Job Location: Heifer International Bangladesh Regional Office, Jashore
The last date of the application submission is on April 22, 2023.