Job ID 404
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of disability.
The Communications Officer (CO) will report to Country Director. He/she will provide support to the organization as it implements the strategic goals and objectives of Heifer International. He/she will assist in communicate, coordinate, share, prepare and send out publications, communication materials, and all articles and in managing public events.
The Communication Officer will also be responsible for providing communications support to Heifer Senegal programs and interventions, including the development and dissemination of appropriate messaging, aligned to the Country’s program agenda, guidelines, systems, and procedures, through a variety of traditional and social media channels.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Action-oriented; Analytical; Results-oriented; Team player; Pragmatic and Self-motivated; Attentive to details; Confidentiality and Communicates actively and effectively.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLESA. Communication, Collaboration, and Coordination (30%)
- Develop communication strategies for delivery of corporate culture and business strategy.
- Manage media relations and maximize media opportunities and develop strong relationships with media reps.
- Contact members of the media to set up interviews with company reps.
- Coordinate field visits (study tours, Monitoring visits, communication-oriented visits, and others).
- Develop and Document Field stories and initiate photo takings through an organized communication plan per project.
- Producing and disseminating HPI newsletter publication brochures and reports.
- Follow up on any contacts developed during conferences, workshops, and meetings, via email and telephone.
- As and when required to represent Heifer International at meetings/events with other Heifer staff or alone on behalf of the organization.
- Timely disseminated information.
- Good working relationships and linkages maintained with Government, media, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Annual, semester, quarterly, and monthly reports are produced in a most professional attractive way.
- Systems of information flow and communications established and maintained.
- Communications materials are produced in the most accurate attractive way.
- Communication capacity among key staff strengthened
- Create and launch press releases and marketing campaigns
- Get company featured on radio, TV, and/or the Internet
- Develop branding initiatives, internal communications, and external media relations.
- Execute programs to deliver communications objectives throughout the organization.
- Develop a specific project communication plan and ensure its implementation.
- Develop internal publications such as newsletters, releases, email announcements, planned publications, on-line, intranet, video, special projects and assignments and communication of articles and sharing of case studies
- Developing, updating, and coordinate public relations materials such as pictures, slides, success stories, posters, calendars, and distribution of video documentaries
- Assist in managing Heifer Senegal’s Social Media accounts
- Assist the Country Director in his public relations roles
- Heifer activities and success stories are known to farmers, government, stakeholders, and the community at large through the production and distribution of promotional materials.
- Social media messages are reviewed and communication is well managed and properly circulated.
- Managing HPI public events (award ceremonies, POG, and handover ceremonies as appropriate.
- Maintain relationships with external stakeholders, including responding promptly to communications and sharing information as necessary.
- Work with PPPP to explore collaboration opportunities with the Private/Public sector to strengthen the business function of the Country Program.
- Promote branding of the Heifer farmer's product for comparative advantage in the marketing of the goods.
- Project activities and events are documented in the most accurate and professional manner.
- Support in gathering information for the report as required.
- Professionally packaged and disseminated project/program information in the right media and timely.
- Visibility and fundraising materials produced in collaboration with the MELs Manager for reliable, credible, and consistent data/information.
- Smooth and collaborative working relationships with Heifer regional and global communications teams established
- Build the capacity of staff on communication-related tools.
- Support the CP in value chain mapping, market system and come up with appropriate communication strategies.
- Guide Market Development specialists in developing product branding strategies.
- Manage all communication gadgets in the office and the field
- Proposed IEC materials and coordinate all printing work while maintaining a relationship with print media Communication and information materials are well managed in the Corral and other HPI approved sites and always remain in the best quality.
- Maintaining and updating communication and networking files.
- Assets are safeguarded and well managed.
- Stakeholders database in place and updated continuously.
E May perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor (5%)
- Carry out other duties assigned to you in the best interest of Heifer Project International.
- Bachelor’s in communications, public relations, or Journalism plus three years experience
- Bachelor`s degree in Mass Communication or related field.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, and environment and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and SSPS
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrate written and oral fluency in French and an appreciable level of English.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designated and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to prepare and present speeches/ presentations, reports, business correspondence procedure manuals, and articles for publication that conform to the prescribed style and format with perfect attention to detail
- Maintaining the highest level of professionalism when dealing with donors, project participants, Heifer Senegal staff, and partner organizations.
- Willingness to contribute to Heifer International`s principle of transparency and honesty
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Constant face-face, telephone, and electronic communication with colleagues both internal and external.
- May require constant sitting and moving working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Performing multiple tasks with minimum supervision
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule
- Willingness to travel both domestically in rural communities.