Finance Officer (2 positions)
Job ID 1065
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Heifer International is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) whose mission is to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth. We work with farmers and their communities to identify opportunities that deliver living incomes, creating solutions to local challenges that are designed to build inclusive, resilient economies. With Increased productivity of livestock and crops, farmers provide for their families and improve the health of their communities.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for providing substantive support for accounting aspects of the Sahel Diary project. This position will be accountable for the maintenance of accounting-related systems, implement accepted methods of accounting and assure proper internal controls and perform guided assessments of controls related to financial activities, reporting and compliance. This position will apply critical thinking to manage the business of the project, in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. The Finance and Administrative Officer will apply, reinforce general accounting standards and Heifer's policies and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Support the project team in accounts management to ensure compliance by:(25%)
- Facilitate accurate and timely transactions that will feed into donor reporting, dashboards and other key donor deliverables.
- Record all transactions in the accounting system; coordinate with team members to complete all accounting procedures to produce monthly financial statements in accordance with local GAAP or IFRS.
- Complement ongoing documentation and implementation of industry standards in accounts management and compliance.
- Facilitate requests related to independent external audits and other agreed-upon procedures providing financial information and follow-up.
- Reconcile all transactions in the accounting system to the general ledger and financial reports of the project.
- Register and maintain fixed assets of the project in the accounting system.
- Manage the staff expenditure and reimbursement process.
- Ensure adequate documentation for payments to vendors and partners, checking the accuracy of invoices and other supporting documents.
- To support responses to queries on the status of payments, accounts, expenditures and obligations and resolve any discrepancies.
- Support processes for project budgeting and reforecasting.
- Support review of budget requests for timely processing of fund releases.
- Monitor Project burn-rates.
- Monitor compliance with grant agreements.
- Prepare accurate and timely donor reporting, dashboards, and other key donor deliverables.
- Ongoing documentation and implementation of industry standard grant management and compliance procedures.
- Preparation and maintenance of accurate and timely periodic reporting, dashboards and other key deliverables to senior management.
- Regular and timely expenditure review.
- Monitor donor agreement reporting dates and respond to compliance inquiries related to donor request.
- Assist in providing administrative and accounting support to staff and project partners through trainings and field monitoring.
- Support partner/cooperatives in the submission of reports.
- Assist in monitoring project partners to ensure implementation of Heifer Partner’s policies and program impact.
- Manage day to day office administration.
- Manage procurement and all purchases related to goods and services, including quotations, comparative tables, contracts and ensure compliance based on Heifer’s or the Donor’s standards.
- Provide adequate and timely logistical support for office operations and other activities.
- Ensure upkeep of office facilities and fixed assets of the project
- Maintain seamless filing and record keeping system for travel and trip reports, attendance and leave approvals for the staff of project
- Coordinate and/or facilitate local and international travel arrangements, meetings, conferences for the staff of project.
- Supervise the Drivers and conduct one to one Performance Management Review.
- Ensure the fleet and other equipment are in good and sound condition at all times.
- Work together with the Senior Driver to ensure services/repair for all the projects vehicles for the country program are planned and conducted on a timely basis (to minimize disruption) by the approved Garage(s).
- With the support from the Senior Driver ensure all vehicle maintenance and service are supported by sound the paper trail at all times so as to comply with Heifer’s Procedures
- Ensure that all vehicles contain the necessary items and equipment as per the guidelines. (e.g., First Aid Kit, fire extinguisher)
- Maintain the fleet book/tracking system and ensure that these are updated timely and as and when necessary.
- Review and sign off on a transport log sheet on completion of the sheet.
- Supervise the preparation of monthly analysis of fuel consumption against KMs’ and prepare supporting documentation for the payment to supplier and investigate any discrepancies.
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned by: (5%)
- Provide support to the Project Officers and work closely with them to ensure that financial information is accurate and up to date.
- Develop good working knowledge of the agresso accounting system and provide mentoring to junior finance and administration staff and/or interns on the running of the system.
- Train non finance staff and project holders in record keeping.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, plus three (3) years of related experience.
- Two (2) years of USAID grant experience in a significant role.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of the NGO business sector; Knowledge of institutional funders for international development, a plus.
- Ability to navigate financial and non-financial data gathering and analytics; technically adept with ability to quickly learn and maximize usage of technology and software; effective user of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate skill in MS Excel.
- Practical knowledge of the local country generally accepted accounting principles and fiscal statutes.
- Experience with accounting systems.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks and manage consistently competing priorities, comfortable in rapidly changing environment. Must be flexible and able to improvise to handle a variety of situations.
- Ability to effectively train individuals and teams using participatory methodologies.
- Ability to work with delicate personnel situations and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain close relationships and work with team members from a distance and with limited opportunity for personal interaction.
- Constant face-to-face, electronic and telephone communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability to prepare documents and other materials in a well-designed and attractive format, with attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Adequate physical condition necessary to travel to project sites in rural areas.