Operations & Procurement Coordinator
Job ID 533
The position is responsible for overseeing the operations & procurement function to ensure that all Heifer Kenya operations relating to facilities, logistics & procurement are undertaken as per laid down laws, rules and regulations, while enforcing transparency and accountability in the process to guarantee value for money as well as efficient service delivery to both internal and external clients.
Operations and Facilities Management
- Ensure a good standard of building maintenance and the smooth running of office environment and space that all clients and members feel a sense of pride in.
- Manage third party supplier and equipment maintenance contracts, ensuring that they meet with Heifer Kenya values, are regularly reviewed, and provide the best value for money.
- Source contractors for internal maintenance and emergency repairs and oversee their work.
- Ensure that operational processes and procedures are reviewed, documented and easily available to staff
- Ensure security of the office is maintained and that relevant staff are aware of and trained in security procedures including acting as the first point of contact for emergency access requests and security alarms.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating the assignment, utilization, maintenance, repair, replacement, and disposal of fleet vehicles.
- Provide technical leadership to drive the implementation of procurement and supplies policies and plans aimed at cost effective acquisition of high quality, materials, goods, and services.
- Prepare strategic procurement plans and budget outlining key activities to be undertaken, the projected cost, funding sources as well as expected outcomes
- Develop and implement flexible and responsive procurement and stores management system for monitoring and tracking costs as well as maintaining up-to-date inventory of goods and services.
- Develop detailed tender specifications and performance standards to facilitate procurement of capital equipment, goods and services in strict compliance with the organizations approved policy as well as donor specifications and requirements.
- Develop and implement procurement strategies and policies including preparation and implementation of the country program procurement manual.
- Lead the interpretation and implementation of existing HQ led procurement regulations, procedures and systems
- Provide oversight to sourcing in support of project activities and conduct training on procurement, sourcing, contracting responsibilities, ethics, and general guidelines on procurement management.
- Examine and re-evaluate existing contracts in line with performance expectations and service level agreements.
- Perform risk analysis regarding supply contracts and agreements.
- Ensures project procurements are conducted within the stipulated timelines (timely project procurements)
- Ensure timely and efficient implementation of procurement strategy and ensure that performance targets are set and achieved.
- Oversee the maintenance and safeguarding of procurement records and documents.
- Monitor contract management by user departments to ensure implementation of service and supplier contracts in accordance with terms and conditions of the contract
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Economics, Business Management, or related subjects
- Qualifications in Purchasing and Supplies Management plus membership to a professionally recognized body.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in experience supporting operations, logistics, facilities management and procurement management in a reputable organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practice in facilities /procurement / supplier contract management, logistics & office operations.
- Applicants must exhibit a flexible work attitude with the ability to work productively in a team environment.
- They must also be able to work well independently to meet unexpected demands.
- Work experience in NGO and specifically USAID and other key donor funded organization’s is an advantage.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Good analytical skills and ability to verify information.
- Excellent qualities and management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, environment, natural resources management, climate change and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Ability to promote the vision and strategic goals of Heifer.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English and Kiswahili oral and written.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling Heifer’s values and ethical standards.
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Kenya.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms) floor-to-waist.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.