Art Director, Worthy Kids/Worthy
Please note: This role is required to be local to the Hachette Nashville office in Franklin, TN.
Please submit both a resume and cover letter to be considered.
The Art Director is responsible for the creative vision and design for all WorthyKids titles, for formats including but not limited to picture books, board books, middle grade, and graphic novels. This person will be responsible for seeing each project through the full book design process, including artist selection, concepting, art direction, type design, color proofing, and file production. The candidate must have experience managing freelance illustrators.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work directly with Editors and the Publisher to conceptualize full interior and cover designs and illustrations.
- Work directly with artists and their agents to direct concepts, sketches, and final artwork for interiors and covers.
- Create designs that are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of the book, and can translate into multiple formats.
- Create selling materials and graphics for Sales & Marketing on a seasonal basis, ensuring assets are ready and available on time.
- Work closely with Creative Director to keep a status report of projects as needed.
- Work with the Publisher and Creative Director to determine appropriate budgets and scopes of work for each title.
- Assist in overseeing the design process within the department, as well as greater departmental initiatives.
- Ensure all covers and interiors are uploaded onto proprietary databases and archive documents appropriately.
- Manage schedules of books to make sure key marketing and printer dates are met.
- Create full cover and interior mechanical files according to specifications from the printer and Hachette standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Creative Director or Publisher.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in book publishing design required – experience in children’s books preferred.
- Ability to execute a broad range of designs that are appropriate for various age groups and formats (board books, picture books, middle grade, etc).
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography.
- Expert proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required.
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to manage freelance artists and designers.
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition.
- Ability to stay current on top of new print and digital design trends.
- Solid print production experience required. (Experience with digital production preferred.)
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $80,000-$90,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.