Associate Art Director/Art Director-Little, Brown
Reporting to the VP, Creative Director, The Associate Art Director or Art Director is exclusively responsible for the creative vision and design of James Patterson brand adult hardcover titles as well as some paperbacks. The ideal candidate should be well-versed in "big" commercial fiction and non-fiction title design with quick turnaround times. The role will also be responsible for all production / mechanicals for James Patterson trade books, including press checking and jacket meeting presentations. This person will be responsible for transmitting each project through the design process, including conception, approval, and production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work directly with Creative Director, Editors, Sales/Marketing Managers, and the Publisher to conceptualize cover and interior designs.
- Work closely with Creative Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket meetings, as well as Sales and Marketing meetings.
- Work with Creative Director to determine appropriate budgets and scopes of work for each title.
- Assist in overseeing the design process within the department, as well as greater departmental initiatives.
- Ensure all covers are uploaded onto proprietary database and archive documents appropriately.
- Manage schedules of books to make sure key marketing and sales dates are met, as well as the creation of sales materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Creative Director or Department Head.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in book publishing design required – experience in adult trade commercial book jacket design preferred
- Well-versed in "big" commercial fiction and non-fiction title design
- Strong typography aesthetics, experience contributing innovative and salable design approaches to big commercial fiction\nonfiction covers
- Advanced proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Working knowledge of photoshoot art direction
- Experience with photo manipulation and compositing of cover images
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition.
- Solid print production experience required
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
- Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization