Senior Designer / Designer, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is seeking a dynamic and talented Designer or Senior Designer who will primarily be responsible for the design of picture books and novelty titles for the children’s division. This person will be responsible for overseeing each project through the design process, including dummies, sketches, final artwork, color correction, and preparing files to production. The ideal candidate may also have some experience designing other formats including middle grade, young adult, and non-fiction.
List of Duties:
- Collaborate closely with the editors, artists, and authors in the creation of cover and interior artwork, from sketches to final art.
- Work closely with editors and the Art Director in designing the cover and interior packaging.
- Work closely with the Art Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket meetings, as well as Sales and Marketing meetings.
- Oversee out-of-house freelance designers as necessary
- Ensure all covers and related sales assets are uploaded into proprietary database (The Vault) and archive documents appropriately.
- Assist in managing a master schedule of books to make sure key Production, Marketing and Sales milestone dates are met, as well as the creation of sales materials.
- Create select advertising and promotional materials as needed for custom publishing or retail promotions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Art Director, Creative Director, or Department Head
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Minimum of 4-7 years experience in book publishing design required — experience in children’s books preferred.
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings, regardless of audience
- Ability to manage in-house and out-of-house artists and freelancers
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition
- Solid print production experience required.