Art Director-Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (LBYR)
The Art Director is responsible for the design and oversight of a dynamic list of in-house IP projects, branded titles, and graphic novels for Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. These titles include a broad range of formats and age groups, including novelty and board books, picture books, chapter books, middle grade and young adult fiction and non-fiction. This person will be responsible for seeing each project through the design process, including conception, approval, and production. The candidate must also have experience managing in-house design staff and outside freelancers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work directly with designers, editors and licensors in the design and production of jackets, covers, and interiors.
- Oversee in-house designers and freelancers, and provide necessary art direction through each stage of the design process for each project.
- Create designs that are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of the book, and can translate into multiple formats.
- Oversee the development of enhanced digital books (e-books and apps), and provide all necessary assets.
- Work closely with artists in the creation of cover and interior artwork.
- Create select advertising and promotional materials for key titles on an as needed basis.
- Work closely with Creative Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket meetings, as well as Sales and Marketing meetings.
- Work with Creative Director to determine appropriate budgets and scopes of work for each title.
- Assist in overseeing the design process within the department, as well as greater departmental initiatives.
- Ensure all covers are uploaded onto proprietary database and archive documents appropriately.
- Manage schedules of books to make sure key marketing and sales dates are met, as well as the creation of sales materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Creative Director or Department Head
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in book publishing design required
- Ability to execute a broad range of designs that are appropriate for various age groups and formats (Board Books, Picture Books, Chapter Books, Interactive Novelty Books, Sticker Books, Middle Grade & Young Adult Novels)
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Solid print production experience required. Experience with digital production and PDF workflow preferred
- Ability to maneuver through complex licensor approval processes and work with complex style guides.
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Ability to manage in-house staff and freelancers
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition
- Ability to stay current on top of new print and digital design trends
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A familiarity and enthusiasm for pop culture, film, television