Do you want to be Autocar’s Prototype Technician?
Autocar is the only American truck manufacturer focused on trucks for severe-duty vocational applications. But above all, Autocar is focused on our customers: Our truck helps our customers to be more successful and to achieve their challenging objectives.
Autocar’s hundreds of customers include every national waste-hauling fleet, major cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Miami, and Charlotte, and many of the largest retailers and freight handlers in North America.
As the industry's technology and innovation leader, Autocar has forged strong partnerships with the leading suppliers in the business, including, Allison, Cummins, ArvinMeritor, Hendrickson among others, and has delivered more natural gas vehicles than all of our competitors combined.
Autocar is the oldest motor vehicle manufacturer in the United States and built America's first truck, in 1899. A proudly American-owned company, Autocar is headquartered in Hagerstown, Indiana and is affiliated with GVW Group, based in Highland Park, Illinois.
To facilitate the assembly of prototype components to engineering vehicles to ensure fit form and function of the components is correct. Work with engineering to make suggestions as to how to improve on concepts prior to production release to help improve first time quality on the production line.
What Does it Take to Be Part of Our Team?
You’ll Achieve These Key Outcomes:
• Install and validate parts & components on engineering and method build vehicles.
• Create prototype parts that are representative of design ideas/concepts when prints are not available, with design engineers.
• Provide feedback to design engineers related to Bill of Material, installation, validation, accessibility and maintainability issues.
• Support Autocar production initiatives by supporting part manufacturing/modification needs and implementation of new designs to production line
• Maintains a safe working environment through good housekeeping practices and adherence to safe work practices
You’ll Demonstrate These Competencies for Success:
• Adapt to rapidly changing priorities
• Focused yet flexible to support and lead changes that improve effectiveness
• Analytical excellence with ability to solve problems with a systematic, sequential approach
• Process driven ability to achieve results in a fast-paced environment
• Honest to do what is right, not politically expedient
Your Background Includes:
• One to two years related experience and/or training.
• Heavy truck vehicle product knowledge and experience required.
• Repair environment experience.
• Metal fabrication, welding and truck manufacturing build/process knowledge and experience is desirable.
• Electrical diagnosis experience.
• Must be able to read, analyze and interpret blueprints and schematics.
• CDL a plus
Where will you work?
This role is located at Autocar®, LLC, in Hagerstown, Indiana. Periodic travel may be required to address issues at customer’s locations or support test and evaluation activities.
What do we offer in benefits?
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, 401K plan, etc.
At Autocar, we are transforming the vocational truck industry, providing the highest quality, safest, and most advanced technology in the severe-duty class 8 vocational truck segment. Every truck we make is custom-engineered, and custom built to the customer’s specifications.
We are a privately US owned and operated company that expects our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the end user. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm and arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently in this industry. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving the lives of the drivers that use our trucks.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume