GroupM | Trading Strategist
Overview of job
The management of the China Trading strategy and value for clients
The Trading Strategist will be responsible for the overall leadership, management and articulation of the groups trading strategy to clients and agencies in a simple, pitch winning and modern manner. The strategy will be two-fold - an external story to clients covering the USP of GMT against our competitors, an internal story to our Agency investment teams around Vendor strategy.
Both of these will require working relationships with the client accountability leads in GMT and the Agency Investment Heads.
The role will be Shanghai based and may involve travel to Beijing and Guangzhou (within China)
Reporting of the role
This role reports to: CIO of GroupM China
What your day job looks like at GroupM:
- Creation and management of the overall client-facing Trading strategy story to Clients (especially digital)
- Work with the Client Accountability leads and the Agency Investment heads on the communication of the Trading strategy directly to a nominated group of key top GroupM clients
- Working with the Digital Trading head, implement and support the “sourcing strategy” in China where required, with the agencies (articulating the benefit and changes required)
- For all key China pitches support the Agency Investment heads and consolidate all the value creating initiatives into a single-client strategy and story to win the business
- Work closely with GMT negotiation leads to understand our negotiation strategies, deal structures, and to add ‘Quality control’ to ensure client benefit is at the heart of all our deals
- Support the Pricing Head on key Global pitches with international communications
Key Skills and Knowledge:
- 10+ years of relevant ‘local market’ trading experience, primarily digital trading
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to package and sell digital trading internally & externally to clients
- An interest in technology and data as they will become central to our business.
- Significant experience at all levels of agency-media relationships (Client background is not essential but would certainly help also)
- A sensitivity and understanding of local business culture and practices.
- Mandarin not essential but extremely useful.
- Excellent analytical / problem solving skills with the patience to examine detail and create solutions.
- Experience of successful change management.
- High “emotional intelligence and awareness” and therefore able to manage self and others in a constructive manner, always with a talent mindset.
- Experience of creating and embedding a value-based culture.
- Collaborative and astute - able to build trust and respect within the network.
- A willingness to develop connections within the business community
GroupM is the leading global media investment management company serving as the parent to WPP media agencies including Mindshare, MediaCom, and WaveMaker, as well as the programmatic digital media platform, Xaxis, each global operations in their own right with leading market positions. GroupM’s primary purpose is to maximize performance of WPP’s media agencies by operating as leader and collaborator in trading, content creation, sports, digital, finance, proprietary tool development and other business-critical capabilities. GroupM’s focus is to deliver unrivaled marketplace advantage to its clients, stakeholders and people.
Discover more about GroupM at www.groupmchina.com/
Follow @GroupMAPAC on Twitter
Follow GroupM on LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/groupm
China is now the second largest media market, and the world’s most vibrant digital market, growing at double the rate of the US. In 2013, China surpassed the US in e-commerce, and China leads the world in mobile with over 600m smartphone connections. The pace of change and the scale of China’s emerging consumer market are unparalleled in any other market. Global CEOs are looking to China to drive growth, and brands are rushing to keep pace.
If you want a future in media and communications, there is clearly no place more vibrant, challenging and exciting than China, where opportunities for you to innovate and grow are unparalleled.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential.