Intern, Property Development
Job Type: 4 Month Internship
Who We Are
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited (“Gateway”) is one of the largest and most diversified gaming and entertainment companies in Canada. Across its 27 gaming properties in British Columbia, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta, Gateway currently employs approximately 8,648 people and boasts approximately 448 table games (including 49 poker tables), 13,887 slots, 85 restaurants and bars and 561 hotel rooms. Gateway is the service provider for the Central, Southwest and North gaming Bundles in Ontario, which includes 11 properties in their portfolio. A multi-pronged growth strategy has seen Gateway diversify and expand its product offering, including developing proprietary casino and restaurant brands, dramatically improving the gaming customer experience while attracting new customers. Some of Gateway's proprietary brands include Match Eatery & Public House, Atlas Steak + Fish and the new Halley’s Club. In 2017, Gateway celebrated 25 years in the business of gaming and entertainment in Canada. Further information is available at www.gatewaycasinos.com.
Why Work For Us
Gateway celebrates and empowers those employees who made it all possible. A career at Gateway means great people, a great atmosphere and career advancement opportunities across our 26 locations. Our employees thrive with ongoing training and leadership programs for all while working in an engaging and fun environment. Join us today!
The Intern, Property Development, will assist in leading small construction and renovation projects, and assist the Project Managers/Coordinators on large-scale projects throughout the full life cycle of projects from initiation to closeout, ensuring that projects are completed on time, under budget and delivered to the highest quality. The Intern, Property Development will collaborate in the stakeholder and communication management with external stakeholders such as the Architects, Engineers, Designers, General Contractors, subcontractors and internal stakeholders such as Finance, IT, Operations, and Food & Beverage departments.
- Acts as key contributor within the project team tasked with delivering projects on time, on budget and on scope.
- Establishes a Project Charter for each approved project; establishes and delivers mechanisms for tracking and reporting to stakeholders via a formal communications plan.
- Assist in planning project timelines, phases and milestones, using the appropriate software tools and project management methods.
- Assist in ensuring that projects are completed in full compliance with guideline and building codes, and meet all health and safety regulations.
- Assist in short-listing, negotiating with and selecting project consultants including, but not limited to Architects, Interior Designers, Landscape Architects, Food & Beverage Consultants, Signage Consultants and Procurement Agents for all projects through a competitive RFP process.
- Assist in coordinating various consultant works and deliverables.
- Through coordination and communication with the project managers and coordinators ensures all project related design consultants adhere to contractual obligations during project delivery.
- Assists in coordinating the preparation, submission, tracking and securing of permits for assigned projects.
- Assist in developing and maintaining relationships with vendors, government authorities and other project stakeholders.
- Coordinates the tender/bidding program, reviews and provides recommendations to the Director and Vice President on all bid summaries.
- Assists in coordinating the total construction effort to ensure projects are proceeding in accordance with design, budget and schedule.
- Assists in the selection and management of any required sub-trades for a project and manages internal or external contractors or trades.
- Assist in reviewing construction related documents in collaboration with consultants.
- Assist in tracking project costs to ensure completion within budget.
- Assists in conducting project reviews and debriefs in order to identify areas for improvement.
- Assist in tracking progress of each project against objectives, approved budget, and timelines.
- Reports status and variances to the project managers and coordinators.
- Assists in purchasing owner supplied items including, but not limited to FF&E, signage, IT, surveillance and kitchen equipment, etc.
What You’ll Require
- Postgraduate or undergraduate of Engineering/Architectural or construction management student.
- PMP certification is an asset.
- Experience with CAD software is an asset.
- Restaurant construction experience is asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and team orientation with flexibility and resilience in dealing with a variety of different personalities
- Proficiency with email, Word, Excel, Web browsers and Project Management software
- Smart, intelligent, fun, goal oriented and driven by integrity
- Some knowledge of applicable Forms of Construction Contracts is preferred.
- Technical skills in areas of project management including planning, design, construction and closeout is preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Project lifecycle is preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with highly sensitive materials and situations.
What Is Next
Love what you see so far? For the best chance to hear from us, apply within 30 days of the posting date.
Not the right fit this time? Follow us on our careers social media pages!