Clinic Based Financial Counselor
The Patient Financial Counselor who will be responsible for the timely and accurate financial counseling of uninsured or underinsured patients. They will assist patients in understanding their financial coverage and costs, identifying uninsured or underinsured patients in need of financial assistance, and assist the patient in applying for Ohio Medicaid, the Health Insurance Exchange Marketplace, Equitas Health’s Financial Assistance Program or other relevant programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, sorting, utilizing a computer for data entry, conducting research, attending meetings, drafting and distributing reports, interacting with others, reconciling data, creating and updating spreadsheets, and coordinating multiple schedules. Communicating with others is an essential job function.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Counsel patients regarding the resources available. Utilize the Medical assistance/Financial Assistance Screening tool with patients when applicable.
- Assist uninsured or underinsured patients with obtaining health care coverage with either the Health Insurance Exchange Marketplace or Ohio Medicaid.
- Identify patients who qualify for assistance through programs including Ryan White. Administer the sliding fee scale and monitor patients’ cap on charges.
- Assist patients with other methods of financial counseling, i.e., explaining insurance benefits, requesting price estimates, and setting up payment plans.
- Identify patients who qualify for sliding fee and assigning sliding fee copays.
- Work with patients who are experiencing a hardship in filling out a hardship application. Gather the required documentation.
- Manage and update expired hardship applications to ensure compliance of the 6 month eligibility.
- Monitor the various work lists and work queues to ensure the appropriate follow-up within the expected time periods. Resolve complex outstanding patient issues.
- Conduct daily review and analysis of accounts flagged for review.
- Assist with inquiries from walk-in patients regarding billing problems in conjunction with the Patient Financial Services Department.
- Perform benefit education and financial counseling on potential out of pocket expenses for patients who have services scheduled.
- Maintain compliance with quality standards.
- Adhere to Equitas Health Confidentiality Policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent and 2 years’ Medical experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, Word and Outlook), accounting software, and other applications
- Experience with EPIC or other Medical Software is a plus.
- Strong PC and computer skills required.
- Excellent organization skills with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands and work efficiently without constant supervision.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Work well under pressure and ability to be flexible. Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Background and reference checks will be conducted. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. EOE/AA