Freelance Tech Review Writer
About Your Role
If the most exciting part of buying a new gadget for you is the initial Amazon shopping trip where you compare specs, features, and prices, then you may be a reviewer at heart.We’re looking for both experts and enthusiasts in consumer technology who love unboxing and setting up new products regardless of if it’s a gaming router, a pair of noise-canceling headphones, or even a paper shredder. If you have writing skills, a photographer’s eye, and the ability to analyze and objectively weigh the pros and cons of different products, we’d love to hear from you.
About Your Contributions
- Writing 1,000-2,500 word reviews of consumer technology products with clarity and expertise
- Parsing technical information, specs, and jargon into terms readers can easily understand
- Setting up multiple devices at a time and following methodical testing procedures
- Objectively comparing products by weighing pros and cons, taking into account the design, performance, pricing, and other relevant factors
- Shooting crisp, well-lit photos of review products in clean settings
- Turning in review copy and photos by a mutually determined time
- Experience working as a remote freelancer with relevant clips
- Experience writing for a web-based publication (consumer technology publications a strong plus)
- Willingness to follow detailed guidelines, accept edits, and reshoot images
- Familiarity taking photos with a DSLR and some photo editing (portfolio or published images a strong plus)
As a freelance writer, you’ll be writing for Lifewire whose audience is not that of a tech enthusiast. Our audience is people searching for help to decide what to buy. We don’t talk down to our readers, engage in fan wars, or bury our writing in jargon and technical terms. We cover the full gamut of consumer technology, but no matter how complex and specialized, we always try to put things into terms the average consumer can understand. Our reviews cover, but aren’t limited to: mobile phones, tablets, networking, speakers, cameras, smart home devices, e-readers, printers, scanners, pet cameras, and many more.
We are looking for reviewers who are able to take on 3-4 products at a time, with word counts ranging from 1,000-2,500 words per review. We offer very competitive rates per article.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Byrdie, MyDomaine, Brides and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a firstname.lastname@example.org account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to email@example.com.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.