Domtar Inc., Plymouth Mill, is currently seeking a Maintenance Superintendent to join our team. Reporting to the Maintenance & Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction to the maintenance teams in order to meet business requirements for the efficient production of Pulp & Paper while utilizing Lean Manufacturing tools and processes. managing the predictive/precision maintenance systems to optimize equipment reliability and ensuring cost effective maintenance service delivery.
The Plymouth Maintenance Superintendent is accountable for providing leadership and direction to maintenance salaried leaders and assigned crews. The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible to ensure productivity, safety, quality, reliable and rapid problem solving in a planned and unplanned cost-effective customer-centric environment. These business objectives are accomplished in accordance with principles of lean manufacturing, modeling and teaching employees in a manner that moves the organization toward accomplishing the target condition.
Purpose of Role
The Maintenance Superintendent will be responsible to lead the maintenance department in a safe and efficient manner and to set the strategic direction in alignment with attaining established goals and continuous improvement in the areas of safety, reliability, cost and personnel development to ensure business metrics and targets are achieved.
This includes providing day to day or tactical efforts during unplanned maintenance events along with ensuring metrics are in place to manage the balance between planned and unplanned events. This will involve sponsoring a more proactive and predictive culture and fostering an environment to help promote the transition to a more proactive versus reactive culture by utilizing continuous improvement tools and lean manufacturing to help manage and drive the transition.
- Ensure all safety practices and procedures are consistently followed, including: Show Me” audits and HPI. Ensure that all direct reports and maintenance employees understand their responsibility around ensuring their personal safety and adherence to all safety policies and procedures.
- A personal dedication to safety, including proactive support of efforts to create a culture of safety excellence.
- Establish, maintain, and support effective programs that will promote a sustainable, environmentally responsible process of manufacturing.
- Manage performance of all direct and indirect reports (planners, team leaders, and engineers, crafts, etc.) within the Maintenance Department in your area of responsibility to support improving area reliability.
- Lead and integrate reliability-centered maintenance practices and predictive maintenance tools, including but not limited to: vibration analysis, thermography, lube analysis, ultrasonic analysis, and failure analysis techniques.
- Lead the planning and execution of outages and down days as well as ensuring that all unplanned outages, maintenance projects, and troubleshooting activities are executed efficiently and effectively managed to help minimize impact on the business.
- Lead efforts around effective diagnosis of breakdowns and timely repair to maximize availability of equipment and processes.
- Monitor & track downtime data to work toward eliminating repeat failures thru root cause problem solving and implementing solutions.
- Proactively identify potential problem areas and acts to increase reliability and reduce costs.
- Ensures that the predictive and preventative maintenance schedules are adhered to and are aligned with transitioning to a more predictable culture.
- Develop and implement the area maintenance budget and drive year over year cost improvement.
- Ensure that all maintenance work (planned and unplanned) is performed on schedule and within budgetary limits.
- Set performance expectations and provide feedback to direct reports on areas of improvement in support of employee development.
- Develop and maintain a positive relationship with union leadership to ensure sustainable business operations and results. This includes ensuring alignment with the appropriate Labor Agreements, Rules & Regulations, Domtar policies & procedures and government regulations
- Good verbal and written communications
- Leadership skills that include a proven ability to coach and develop team members to a higher level of performance.
- Ability to coach, counsel and lead a team of people
- Organizational Skills
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Strong Technical Capability
- Decision Making
- Results Driven
While performing the duties of this job, there is exposure to fumes, moving mechanical equipment, mobile equipment, energize electrical equipment, vibration, noise, significant traffic while traveling across a large manufacturing work site and exposure to a variety of outside weather conditions.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of the job.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with employees, management, vendors, contractors and other individuals. The position requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing. The employee must frequently lift or move items over 50 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time salaried exempt position. The normal work week is 40 – 50 hours. Days and hours of work may vary and additional daily or weekly hours may be required.
There may be minimal travel for training and development.
Education and Experience
A four (4) years undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in a Technical or Engineering major preferred.
A minimum of ten (10) years of maintenance experience in an industrial setting or environment with a strong mechanical and/or electrical aptitude.
A minimum of years (5) years of maintenance supervisory experience in a large heavy manufacturing environment is required.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.