Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking a Maintenance Supervisor to join our team.
As an integrated mill, Espanola operates two pulp machines for making specialty hardwood and softwood pulps, and two paper machines that produce more than 300 different types of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people and technology. Espanola ranks among the most innovative mills in North America. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
The Maintenance Supervisor directly supervises a team of maintenance personnel tasked with the execution of proactive and reactive maintenance activities. This role is responsible to develop and continually improve the function of the Internal Responsibility System (I.R.S.) within their crew relating to all aspects of; health and safety, environment, quality, uptime value, continual improvement, procedures and policies and best operating practices.
- As part of the Espanola Maintenance team, the successful candidate will support the development and application of equipment improvement activities as a part of the Espanola Maintenance Program.
- Provide direct Leadership and support to the team to ensure that all maintenance activities are carried out according to the Espanola Maintenance program.
- Motivate and develop their crew into a competent team of maintenance technicians as well as develop sound action plans.
- Work closely with reliability and operating counterparts to carry out and/or identify work that balances priorities between PM’s, safety, environment, cost reduction and emergency work.
- Responsible for all health and safety aspects of their crew, including training, meetings, compliance, audits, observations and records.
- Ensure that employees under their supervision have the required abilities, means and resources to carry out their tasks safely and in conformity with policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the performance and behaviour of their crew which includes setting targets and expectations, coaching, mentoring, training, communicating and providing direction as required.
- Ensure the involvement of all team members in the development and continual improvement of work practices, procedures, equipment, and knowledge in order to optimize the team’s efficiency.
- Ensure a high level of communication with other teams and other supervisors in an effort to make the best decisions for the mill and for Domtar as a whole.
- Report any issues to appropriate personnel - must be an effective communicator.
- Position reports to the Maintenance Superintendent.
- Red Seal certification, engineering technology diploma, or engineering degree in a mechanical discipline.
- 5 to 10 years of relevant experience with 2-3 years supervisory experience in an industrial maintenance program setting.
- Experience as a change agent in a similar industrial setting would be considered an asset.
- Kraft pulp and paper mill experience is an asset.
- Advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices.
- Well developed and demonstrated supervisory, leadership and interpersonal skills in a unionized environment with focus on safety, environment, quality and maintenance practices.
- Ability to prioritize, make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of SAP would be an asset.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that includes panel interviews, aptitude test, background check, drug and alcohol test, and health assessment.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.