Domtar Inc., Kamloops Operations is currently seeking a Shift Engineer (Power & Recovery) to join our team.
Located in British Columbia, Canada, where the North and South Thompson rivers join, Domtar’s Kamloops Mill uses softwood fiber from third party sawmills in the region to produce high quality Northern Bleached Softwood Kraft pulp and unbleached softwood kraft for customers from North America, China, and Southeast Asia. Built in 1965, the Kamloops Mill produces pulp for a diverse range of products, such as personal hygiene products, building siding, unbreakable dishware and more.
The Shift Engineer’s key job functions include:
- Providing leadership to the crews ensuring the safe and effective performance of their duties and ensuring that the plant is operated in a safe and efficient manner
- Ensuring that all legislated environmental and regulatory requirements that pertain to the operation of the equipment and training of the crew are met
- Responsible for the health and safety of the crews in the Power & Recovery Area
- Reporting directly to the Power & Recovery Manager
- Responsible for all health and safety aspects of their crew, including training, meetings, compliance, audits, observations, and records
- Direct supervision of the operating personnel within the steam plant
- Will supervise shift trades people on nights and weekends when they are completing work in the P&R area
- Accepts responsibility for the, performance and behaviour of the crew including meeting targets, setting expectations, coaching, mentoring, training, communicating and direction as required
- Ensure the involvement of all team members in the development and continuous improvement of work practices, procedures, equipment, knowledge, and know-how to optimize the team’s efficiency
- Ensure a high level of communication with other departments and other department supervisors to make the best decisions for the mill and for Domtar as a whole
- Report and act on any problems or serious needs that should be addressed to pass on to relieving shift personnel - must be an effective communicator
- First line of defense in case of a Major Mill Emergency. Assume role of Incident Commander or support role for other staff supervisors (Pulp Mill) in the event of an emergency.
- Must possess, at minimum, a valid Inter-Provincial 2nd Class Power Engineering Certificate of Qualification
- Kraft/Pulp mill experience is preferred
- Proven track record of success in a supervisory capacity and safety performance
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities:
- Advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices
- Well-developed and demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills in a unionized environment with focus on safety, environment and quality and maintenance practices
- Thorough knowledge of applicable Technical Safety B.C. acts and legislation
- Knowledge of recovery cycle processes, equipment, and procedures
- Ability to prioritize, make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively
- Strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to multi-task
- Analytical, critical thinking and proven problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Results focused and detail-oriented
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of SAP would be an asset
The mill is in Kamloops, British Columbia. Kamloops is BC's Friendliest City and Canada's Tournament Capital! Over 90,000 people reside in this beautiful community that has a lifestyle like no other with 82 parks, over 200 lakes within an hour’s drive, close access to two ski hills and 13 diverse golf courses. The City is vibrant & growing fast, offers an extensive variety of services, businesses, leisure facilities and outdoor activities.
- Competitive compensation including an annual incentive plan
- Flexible Insurance plans (medical, dental, life)
- Company-funded pension plan
- Wellness program including health assessment and coaching
- Paid vacation/holidays
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Employer-supported development and continuing education
Thank you for applying at Domtar. Please note only selected candidates for an interview will be contacted. Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. We invite women, first nation people, and members of visible minorities to apply.