Director, Power & Recovery / Energy Optimization
Title: Director, Power & Recovery / Energy Optimization
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Reporting to the Vice President, Manufacturing Optimization within the Pulp & Paper Division, this position is responsible for providing overall leadership and guidance to the power, recovery and energy optimization systems to produce the highest quality products in a safe, environmentally committed, and cost efficient manner.
- Proactively drive cost optimization projects that deliver high efficiency on an ongoing basis
- Act as the lead point of contact and resource for recovery audits, interface with FM Global and BLRBAC as needed
- Leverage the R&U Functional Team as a problem solving support network for the system to drive results
- Develop the Power & Recovery Utilities component of Domtar’s MIS (Manufacturing Info System) tool and PARCVIEW interface
- Use tools and methodology of Continuous Improvement to improve the Power and Recovery operations in the company
- Lead the department safety efforts by creating a safe work environment in which employees can perform their job tasks at minimum risks. Utilize efforts and systems such as the safety work order system and accountability process to create improved performance.
- Maintain the efforts in the Environmental area to meet all compliance requirements and strive for consistent and improved performance on all operating parameters.
- Manage the operational efforts of the production groups to support the department and mill operational goals to provide quality products with minimum variability in specifications and supply.
Key Skill Sets:
- Proven ability to facilitate groups to change by influencing others and supporting teams of a wide variety of disciplines and backgrounds to achieve significant results.
- Ability to effectively interpret and present technical processes, information and respond to questions from all levels within the organization
- In-depth knowledge of plant operations, maintenance spending process, production commitments, costs, capital projects, process equipment, and new technology
- Strong oral, written, listening and communications skills with all levels of personnel, as well as initiative and the ability to delegate decision making and other responsibilities.
- Technical knowledge of Recovery, Wood Fuel, and Gas boilers, Turbine-Generators, Steam and Condensate systems, Evaporators, Lime Kilns, Recaust operations, Demineralizer and other feedwater supply equipment
- Knowledge of base of suppliers of P&R equipment and technical advantages and disadvantages of the different suppliers
- Familiarity with FEL Project Management methodology and the role of the technical resource in each phase of FEL development
Required Professional Experience/Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Technical or Business related fields
- Minimum 10+ years of engineering experience in Pulp and Paper Mill operations with working knowledge of boiler operations and recovery cycle operation
- Decision making capabilities with the operation of large industrial boilers and related equipment.
- Strong capability with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, MS Project and Visio)
- Familiarity with tools such as MIS (Manufacturing Information System), PARCView, Minitab, etc.
- Working knowledge with lean manufacturing methodology, quality issues, and problem solving
- Must be able to travel up to 70% of the time, primarily in the US and Canada