Process Engineer - Pulp & Energy
PROCESS ENGINEER – PULP & ENERGY
Primary responsibilities include promoting safety, environmental compliance, production debottlenecking, process optimization, cost reduction, quality improvements, and new product development. Utilization of continuous improvement methodologies essential for efficient problem solving and execution of process improvements.
This role is similar to an assistant superintendent and requires a high level of daily interaction with hourly employees. This person should be able to demonstrate ability to assist and engage with hourly employees in getting results on a day to day basis.
- Be a role model for safety by promoting a safe work environment, utilizing safety management systems, and by engaging in safety initiatives
- Lead operational activities to increase engagement and ownership to increase capabilities of both hourly and salary team members
- Support high quality product standards and works to reduce product/process variability
- Provide technical assistance to the production areas
- Focus on cost optimization by initiating and implementing continuous improvement initiatives
- Interface with outside technical resources and suppliers to initiate cost reduction, quality enhancement and process improvement trials
- Build positive relationships with the hourly workforce and provide technical training on process improvements and process changes that impact safety, quality, costs, operations, and efficiencies
- Develop leadership skillset and take on increasing levels of supervisor responsibilities
- Provide weekend and weeknight on-call coverage for the Pulp unit on a rotating basis
- Process familiarity and experience (2-year minimum experience) which demonstrates process troubleshooting, analytical problem-solving abilities, and ability to lead change with speed
- BS Chemical Engineering, Pulp & Paper Science, Chemistry or related field
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.