Divisional Controller, Pulp & Paper
Divisional Controller, Pulp & Paper
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Reports to: Vice President, Finance – Pulp & Paper
The successful candidate will serve as an integral member of the Divisional Finance management team, providing the necessary leadership to ensure that the Pulp and Paper Division meets its financial performance objectives while overseeing the accounting, business segment reporting, support of special projects, and compliance with the company’s accounting procedures and GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) in the context of a SEC registered company.
- Responsible for the completeness, timeliness and accuracy of the financial statements for the Pulp and Paper Division.
- Supervise the mill controllers at 13 remote locations and a divisional accounting staff in Fort Mill, providing review and oversight on accounting, balance sheet reconciliations, accruals, capital spending, sales and purchase contracts, and asset retirement obligations.
- Establish and maintain a well-designed and effective system of internal controls for the mill network as well as the divisional accounting functions.
- Provide US GAAP accounting and reporting guidance to the finance and accounting departments of all sites.
- Coordinate financial audits and provide recommendations for procedural improvements
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Provide regular and meaningful feedback to the VP and Controller, the divisional President and other members of the leadership team regarding pace and progress of initiatives.
- Foster an environment of learning and development that goes beyond reporting results and variances, and helps the business understand drivers of performance
- Assist in establishing short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
Key Skill Sets:
- Good communicator at all levels of organization, in both written and verbal formats.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Self-sufficient, results driven and detail oriented mindset.
- Excellent decision making and strong communication skills.
- Proven leader skills, fostering positive team work dynamic.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business, plus 10+ years’ experience in a progressional finance role; must have worked with a large public accounting firm, preferably in a Big 4. IF no public accounting, must have 8+ years on direct industry experience with SEC reporting experience.
- Of the 10+ years’ experience, 5 must be in a management level role in accounting and financial reporting of a SEC listed public company, preferably in a multi-site manufacturing environment.
- Hold an active CPA.
- Strong current knowledge of finance, accounting, and internal control principles including U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Strong management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Experience with the design and implementation of integrated ERP and financial accounting systems.
- Knowledge of and experience with shared services centers for accounting and transaction processing.
- Hand-on experience in assessing and recommending of accounting treatment, preparing financial reports, and responding to audit and reporting inquiries.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.