Shift Supervisor, Pulp
SHIFT SUPERVISOR – PULP MILL
Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking a result driven individual to join our team.
Located in the four-season outdoor paradise of Espanola Ontario, providing the amenities of an urban center while opening the gateway to outdoor adventure in North-eastern Ontario.
As an integrated mill, Espanola produces NBSK pulp and more than 300 different types of grades of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified as well as BRCGS. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
The successful candidate will ensure that health and safety considerations are paramount in the day-to-day execution of the job, showing by leadership to all Company employees the benefits of a healthy and safe workplace. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to lead change including driving improvements toward a safe work culture.
We are seeking an engaged individual who is looking for an opportunity to build, contribute and advance our organization.
Reporting to the Pulp Mill Superintendent, you will be responsible for all supervisory duties of a shift operating crew and a single line pulp mill (running the fiberline from digesters, to bleach, to pulp drying), including integrated services of CLO2 generator, chemical unloading and management, tall oil making, turpentine, and pulp warehousing.
- Use the Domtar Set of Values to organize, supervise and maintain all aspects of the Fibreline while on shift.
- Achieves all safety and environmental requirements while coordinating the processes and maintenance to give maximum area uptime with the highest quality standards at a minimum cost.
- Supports the development and execution of a proactive safety program on his/her shift.
- Must be an effective communicator.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of related experience in increasingly responsible jobs in a pulp mill.
- Post-secondary education in engineering and/or equivalent industry-related experience.
- Ability to supervise and lead in a unionized environment.
- Technical knowledge and experience in alkaline pulping, chemical bleaching and pulp drying.
- A technical degree and/or the Pulp and Paper Program Certificate will be considered an asset to this position.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities:
- Supervisory and Leadership - well developed and demonstrated leadership skills in a unionized environment.
- Safety - advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices.
- High motivation - manage all key supervisory duties (crew motivation, empowerment, expectation setting, and accountability in terms of Health and Safety, environmental standards, quality standards, operating standards, costs, and technical processes).
- Technical - knowledgeable in the operation and maintenance of the pulp mill.
- Innovation – implement process or design changes to improve operation of department.
- Work Complexity – high level of responsibility for personnel, safety, maintenance, and production issues.
- Problem Solving/Critical Thinking - ability to analyze, prioritize, make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong organizational, planning skills and time management skills.
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of CMMS and SAP would be an asset.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that may include panel interviews, testing, background check, health assessment and drug and alcohol testing.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.