Director of User Experience and Design
Join the winning CARFAX Marketing Team as Director of User Experience and Design
Are you an inspiring leader of User Experience? Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit with a history of building strong design teams? If this sounds like you, then the Director of User Experience and Design here at CARFAX might just be your next perfect home! CARFAX is looking for a Director of User Experience and Design to lead our incredibly talented growing group of UX designers, UX researchers and graphic designers.
The right candidate has experience coaching and mentoring designers while evangelizing design thinking methodologies across an organization. The Director will help bring the brand vision and product strategy to life across digital products, e-commerce, email, media, and point of purchase collateral. This person will enthusiastically tackle new and exciting challenges within a fast-paced, collaborative and data-driven environment. This position will report to the Head of Product Management, User Experience, & Design.
The CARFAX Culture
People who work at CARFAX are happy. Everyone on Team CARFAX knows their work has purpose and contributes to our mission to help consumers throughout the lifecycle of buying, owning and selling their car. Our culture offers a unique blend of a high achieving, high-energy workforce in a casual, laid back setting and our employee-focused culture is consistently honored as a “Best Place to Work” in both our Virginia and Missouri locations.
As the Director of User Experience and Design, you will be responsible for:
- Lead, manage, mentor and grow an incredibly talented team of UX Designers, UX Researchers, and Graphic Designers.
- Recruit and hire designers, researchers and content strategists.
- Lead and support a strong design culture, one that encourages collaboration, critique, and feedback.
- Create strong and collaborative partnerships with Development, Consumer Marketing, Dealer Marketing and other internal customers to bring the Carfax mission to life.
Vision & Strategy:
- Work closely with executive team, product management, project management, engineering, and SEO to help set a customer centric, product vision and strategy.
- Continually Improve Carfax’s design process, research process and help build agile design method’s across the organization.
- Champion UX thinking, and evangelize UX across the organization.
- Lead and maintain the Carfax brand standards, product style guide and pattern libraries.
- Stay on the forefront of emerging design trends, practices and tools.
- Work closely with product, project and development teams to build UX research and design efforts into product roadmaps.
- Collaborate with product teams to create world-class experiences that surprise and delight our customers.
- Review recommended designs and work of UX team members to ensure that designs are aligned with company, stakeholder, and end user priorities.
- Guide the analysis of usability testing and provide recommendations to address business needs.
- Design Leadership – Experience leading design teams with 10+ people. A passion for user-centered design processes and ability to balance customer needs with business goals.
- Project Management Experience– Proven record of leading multidisciplinary creative teams in the production of digital and traditional media.
- Research Driven –leverages research to identify customer pain points, build user empathy, and inform design decisions.
- Strong organizational skills– has ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously. Able to deliver under tight deadlines without sacrificing detail or quality.
- Strong interpersonal skills– has ability to coordinate across various departments within the organization and is highly collaborative with exceptional presentation skills.
- Results oriented– has experience using qualitative and quantitative metrics to manage programs in order to drive revenue, conversion, sales and other marketing goals.
Education & Experience:
- 10+ years experience as a user experience designer or similar; 5+ years directly managing, mentoring and inspiring a team of people in UX-related roles.
- Bachelor’s degree in Digital Design, Multimedia, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) or equivalent.
- Strong team leadership and management experience.
- An online portfolio that showcases a brand range of consumer and enterprise web and mobile applications.
- Expert ability to lead iterative and collaborative design processes (whiteboard inspired)
- Fluency in common design tools such as Invision, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Axure, Framer, Balsamiq and more.
- A passion for solving the complex, with a fluency in information architecture.
- Experience leading user research and testing initiatives.
- Understanding of the technical capabilities of HTML, XML, CSS, Responsive design, API’s etc.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively.
CARFAX, a unit of IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO), helps millions of people every day confidently shop, buy, own and sell used cars with innovative solutions powered by CARFAX vehicle history information. The expert in vehicle history since 1984, CARFAX provides exclusive services like CARFAX Used Car Listings, myCARFAX, CARFAX History-Based Value and the flagship CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™ to consumers and the automotive industry. CARFAX owns the world's largest vehicle history database and is a nationally recognized top workplace by The Washington Post and Glassdoor.com. Shop, Buy, Own, Sell – Show me the CARFAX™. Based in London, IHS Markit is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions.
CARFAX is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of CARFAX to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, disability or handicap, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, CARFAX will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are a participant in E-Verify.