CEP Research Associate, China Climate and Energy Program
We are seeking an analytical and results-oriented Associate for our sustainable trades program. The major responsibility of the Associate is to conduct research and engagement to inform policy making and international cooperation to mitigate trade induced carbon emissions. The successful candidate will (1) produce high-quality research, with data driven tools and economic models to inform policy making and international cooperation; (2) organize policy consultation and communication with stakeholders; (3) engage in international fora, including the UNFCCC and other related organizations and platforms.
- Manage the assigned projects, including research, communications, partnership, budget management and so on to ensure high impact and prompt completion of the projects.
- Conduct research, produce high quality research reports, and develop tools/models to inform policy making and pilot implementation.
- Organize and lead the discussion of internal/external policy dialogues, international and domestic conferences, capacity building workshops, and other communication activities to disseminate the research reports, tools, and models.
- Being able to engage in climate talks under the UNFCCC and other prominent platforms will be a plus.
- Contribute to fundraising effort, including communications with potential funders, preparing concept notes and proposals.
- Contribute to other climate and energy projects as requested.
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Climate & Energy Program Director.
- Strong education background in international trade, international political economy, political economics, econometrics, climate economics, or counterpart working experiences that show competitiveness in global climate governance and economic analysis.
- PHD. or cross-cutting expertise with at least three academic publications in relating subjects is preferred.
- Fluent in oral and written English and Chinese.
- Willingness to learn, communicate and cooperate with an open and growing mind.
- Strong ethical alignment and full respect for research integrity.
- Experience in fundraising with some connections with funders.
- Demonstrate team spirit with excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with staff and external stakeholders at all levels, and flexibility to work across different time zones.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally frequently.
Final candidate will be required to take an oral and writing test.
- Reporting: China Climate & Energy Program Director
- Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous, comprehensive benefits package, with inclusive and flexible working environment.
- Duration: Full-time regular
- Location: Beijing, China
- Application deadline: December 31, 2022
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter by the date of the f application deadline. An application should be submitted to the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world overcomes this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
What we offer
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million.
Our values and mission
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.