Director of Engineering
The Director of Engineering, Core will focus on Funding Circle’s multi-product capabilities by evolving our core services across Platform, Customer and Underlying. This role will initially be UK-focused, with a view to evolve to support the US.
What will you be doing?
You will be accountable for achieving the strategic technology outcomes with your domain across technology & architecture, engineering excellence and talent & ways of working. You will also be accountable for the definition and execution of quarterly technology OKRs, and for the successful execution of the prioritised product roadmap to progress towards target state architecture and deliver business objectives, as well as:
- Continuing to develop your strong technical background by dedicating time to researching new technologies and staying abreast of trends in the Tech industry.
- Having the depth of understanding of the systems and teams you oversee to be able to conduct comprehensive and constructive performance reviews and act as an escalation point for problem-solving when needed.
- Challenging the architecture and design efforts of your team(s) by serving as the technically-savvy voice; asking business and product questions to ensure their work matches the business and product needs in a scalable and sustainable way.
- Role modelling as a positive and engaged member of the Technology Leadership Team to create and grow the next generation of leadership and management talent in the organisation, ensuring that future leaders learn how to balance technical and people leadership and management.
- Partnering with the Directors of Engineering for the UK and US to drive cohesion and collaboration across the entire Technology organisation.
- Being a strong communicator who can simplify technical concepts to explain them to non-technical partners, and take business direction and explain it to the wider Technology team in a way that inspires and guides them.
- Representing the Technology organisation as a positive and engaged member of Funding Circle’s Leadership Team, collaborating proactively and openly with other business units and teams.
- Being responsible for managing headcount and 3rd party budget for your domain within agreed parameters.
- Proactively problem-solving, identifying and confidently mitigating any risks, issues or control weaknesses that arise in your day-to-day.
What we’re looking for
- An experienced technical leader who is confident in leading teams to execute against strategies, while also being comfortable diving into technical problems.
- A strategic thinker who can set long term direction for the domain that is aligned to broader technology and business strategies.
- A collaborative problem solver who takes ownership, takes the lead on creating solutions and operates without boundaries.
- Experienced in working in unison with Product teams to ensure the best experience for our customers.
- Ability to challenge constructively and navigate conflict with maturity.
- Someone who is comfortable with ambiguity and can make and own decisions.
Who are we?
Our mission is to build the place where small businesses get the funding they need to win.
We do this by uniting cutting-edge data and technology to deliver an unbeatable customer experience. With a decade of expertise under our belt, we've built a game-changer of a platform that's reshaping the landscape of SME lending. Say goodbye to lengthy loan applications and hello to lightning-fast decisions!
We have a huge impact on the businesses that borrow through our platform, the communities they serve and the overall economy (last year £6.9bn of GDP generated and 106,000 jobs created!). You can read our full Impact Report here: https://www.fundingcircle.com/uk/impact
Engineering at Funding Circle 🛠️
At the heart of our platform's success lies our extraordinary engineering & data teams. They are the architects and the driving force solving the technical challenges that grant 75% of our borrowers an instant decision. Technology is not just integral; it's pivotal to our mission, ensuring that our multi product platform continues to be the leader in cutting edge fintech products and reshaping the SME lending landscape, one small business at a time.
We’re all about boosting your career here at Funding Circle, and we've designed a comprehensive framework to guide you along the way. We encourage our team to reimagine their career progression, shifting away from conventional paths, and providing opportunities to explore both leadership and individual contributor (IC) roads.
At Funding Circle, we celebrate and support the differences that make you, you. We’re proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace and affirmative-action employer. We truly believe that diversity makes us better
Why join us?
Our Circler proposition is designed to support employees both in and out of work, and it is anchored around four pillars: Health, Wealth, Development & Lifestyle.
We offer hybrid working, with 1-2 days per week based in the office. When you’re in the office you can take advantage of our free barista and subsidised lunches through JustEat and we will help support your home working set-up. We support flexible working arrangements so please speak to our recruitment team if this is something you’d like to learn more about.
A few highlights:
- Health: Private Medical Insurance through Aviva, Dental Insurance through Bupa, MediCash, free access to online therapy sessions via Spill and exclusive discounts with Hertility for reproductive health support
- Wealth: Octopus Money Coach, free mortgage advisor partnership and discounts across numerous retailers through Perks at Work.
- Development: Learning allowance and full access to internal Learning platform.
- Lifestyle: Gympass, Electric Car Scheme and more!
And finally, we have enhanced all of our parental leave policies - we actually won the AltFi Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiative of the Year 2022 for our Partner Leave policy. You can read more here: https://www.altfi.com/article/10158_the-altfi-awards-2022-here-are-the-winners
Research shows that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single criteria. At Funding Circle we are committed to building diverse teams so please apply even if your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the requirements. You might just be the perfect addition to the team!
Want to Build The Incredible? We’d love to hear from you.