Newsroom SEO and Content Strategist
WRAL Digital is seeking an experienced SEO and Content Strategist to help our award-winning news, sports, business and entertainment content find larger audiences through organic search, curated emails and engaging headlines. In this role, you will work both independently and collaboratively to ensure WRAL.com, the state’s most visited news website, and related websites are employing best practices to help news stories, video and other content rank highly for valuable keyword searches.
You also will look for opportunities to make story and video headlines more engaging for direct website visitors, and your strong writing skills will be tapped to deliver customized messages to our email newsletter audience. Effectively tracking and monitoring changes in traffic and ranking is crucial in this role.
The SEO Strategist will be embedded in the WRAL news department and report to the Digital Marketing Director and Digital Content Director. You should be comfortable straddling the line between news and marketing, as well as strategy and execution.
Day to day, you will:
- Adjust SEO titles and other on-page tags in our custom CMS to improve search performance
- Monitor and report on website search performance and trends
- Tweak and test headline variations to improve direct-visit click rates and engagement
- Curate and write for daily email newsletters
- Look for opportunities and strategies to improve SEO for video
- Coach digital content team on SEO and headline writing best practices in one-on-one and group sessions
- Recommend stories to the content team that have high search value
- Create evergreen content that performs well based on keyword and market research
- Serve as a subject-matter expert in SEO; keep abreast on latest best-practices and trends in organic search
- Recommend changes to website architecture, content, linking and other factors to improve SEO positions for target keywords.
Qualified candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism or a related field
- At least two years’ experience in a part-time or full-time SEO role
- Demonstrated proficiency in copywriting and headline writing
- Strong command of AP Style
- Experience using free and paid SEO research and reporting tools, including Google Search Console, Google Trends, SEMrush, moz and Ahrefs
- Comfort using analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Chartbeat
- Familiarity with newsroom deadlines and ability to pivot during breaking news and weather
- A passion for teamwork, excellence and candid communication
WRAL Digital is locally owned by Capitol Broadcasting Company, a community-oriented company that offers some of the best benefits and working environment in the business. We have high expectations and strive for excellence in all that we do.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC.