We are looking for a hands-on Chief Engineer to manage our broadcast and network operations. This role will serve as a thought leader and change agent within our organization, primarily responsible for providing world-class services to our customers.
This position will lead our engineering team and network operations center as well as our product development and innovation initiatives. Additionally, the Chief Engineer will function as a prominent contributor to our sales and business development efforts. This role is overall responsible for the availability of the company’s on-air satellite services and ensuring that we are providing the most reliable services possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for satellite uptime, managed services, operations, and engineering duties within our primary engineering and 24/7 network operations center as well as our secondary hot site location/facility
- Supervise and delegate duties within the engineering department
- Provide direct contribution and support in the development of business strategies, business development, and new opportunities
- Manage department budgets, operational and capital expenditures, and project plans
- Manage and maintain relationships with primary customer POCs and industry partners
- Travel as necessary to tradeshows, customer locations, and other areas in support of sales, technical support, customer management, and business development
- Provide mentorship and facilitate learning and growth across the engineering team to foster development, training, and robust maintenance practices
- Ensure regulatory compliance with federal, state, and local telecommunications regulations and certifications as well as environmental regulations
- Provide strategic and supervisory management of projects, safety practices, standard operating procedures, and quality of service
- Assess technical operational issues and provide enhancement to existing systems and workflow and analyze technical systems to identify potential issues and identify solutions
- Maintain a high level of technical expertise, industry knowledge, and business acumen as it relates to primary duties and technology changes in the markets we serve
Required Skills & Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Broadcasting, Satellite Communications, or an IT-related discipline with at least ten years of experience is required.
- Must have at least ten years of experience in these areas: satellite communications, networking and network security, IoT, broadcasting, deploying new systems, software and application development, cloud deployment, ATSC, AWS, Google and audio/video streaming.
- Knowledge of technical infrastructures, including analog and digital satellite transmission systems, teleport operations, digital video encoding and processing, telco interfacing and IP standards for audio, data and video transmissions.
- Experience in a supervisory position is required; Management experience in a 24x7, 365 day/year network environment is highly preferred.
- Requires experience in supporting business development, Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), innovation, and product roadmap management.
- Working knowledge of government rules and regulations, such as FCC, OSHA, EPA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Individual must have the ability to teach, motivate and retain employees.
- Some travel required.
You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work at CBC. If there is a medical or religious reason preventing you from receiving an available COVID-19 vaccination, and you are selected as a candidate for consideration, we have an accommodations process in place to evaluate those requests.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality and Bull Durham Beer Co., and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC; and Professional Builders Supply (an equity partnership) in Morrisville, NC.