Manager, Animal Care (Curator)
Globally recognized conservation organization seeks an animal care professional looking for meaningful work that impacts wildlife and wild spaces by taking a lead role on the Calgary Zoo’s Animal Care team as they work to change the trajectory of the animals, plants, and people on our planet.
Our Mission: Take and inspire action to sustain wildlife and wild places.
Our Values: Effective Collaboration and Communication, Honesty and Integrity, Customer Focus, Safety, and Conservation.
Position Key Accountabilities:
The Manager, Animal Care (Curator) is responsible for the daily management of the animals, personnel, facilities and programs of the area assigned. The Manager, Animal Care (Curator) oversees a specific zone within the zoo and will be required to manage areas that may include mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes and invertebrates.
What You Will Do:
- Interview and train new employees
- Plan, assign, and direct work
- Appraise employee performance
- Participate in the employee recognition program
- Address complaints and resolve problems
- Ensure compliance with union contract
- Direct volunteers
- Administer discipline and comply with the collective agreement, zoo policies, and/or relevant legislation in the management of staff
- Manage animal care employees, establish work and set schedules
- Expected to interact with staff daily on section and have the ability to do husbandry work if needed for training purposes
- Expected to assist and oversee animal moves, shipments, medical procedures, restraining, and capturing animals
- Author, edit, promote, and enforce guidelines, policies, and standards.
- Identify need for and initiate new guidelines
- Ensure accurate, current records are kept on each animal and exhibit
- Write, update, and review animal management/husbandry protocols ensuring husbandry standards are met
- Use existing knowledge of animal care and welfare to guide management of various species and individual animals in existing and new habitats and scenarios
- Work with other departments to help develop, plan, and implement educational programs, publicity, graphics, construction projects, general maintenance, and other support services for the section
- Assist in planning and implementation of special projects, minor renovations, and improvements in assigned zone; initiate necessary requests for maintenance and horticultural work within assigned zone
- Act as a zone manager in other areas when other managers are away
- Participate in emergency response as a member of the emergency response team and potentially the firearms response team
- Work as a member of the team to provide best possible animal care for the entire zoo
- Complete administrative tasks and other duties as assigned including maintaining and managing a budget
What You Will Bring:
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in animal management, preferably in an accredited institution
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology, Ecology, or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in direct staff supervision
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Possession and Acquisition License is a benefit
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees, and park guests
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Good observational skills
- Be a team player with excellent skills in coordinating internal and external animal movements, and husbandry programs which may include a component of animal training
- Involves some outdoor work and heavy lifting
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs
- Exposure to fauna and pungent odors
- Working on weekends and statutory holidays will be required
- May be on-call to deal with animal emergencies
- Working on the ground alongside animal care staff
- Computer work, meetings, etc. approximately 50% of the time
The Calgary Zoo is an outdoor facility and all staff working at the zoo must be comfortable working in a large variety of outdoor conditions. The Calgary Zoo follows the advice of Environment Canada when responding to temperature and air quality issues.
What the Zoo has to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account
- Employer Matching RRSP program
- Competitive vacation and flex days entitlement
- Discounts on food, beverage, and merchandise
- A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members
- A fun, rewarding work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals
Are you ready to join one of Canada’s leaders in wildlife conservation?
If this position suits your skills, experience and personal attributes, we want to talk to you!
Apply by doing the following:
Spend 1 minute watching this video about the conservation work being done at the zoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM54qrQMilY
Submit your resume with a cover letter via our online application system.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Applications are due no later than June 20, 2021 at 4:00pm MST.
NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE. All applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.