Director, US Controllership
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the US Controllership Team reporting directly to the Senior Director/Controller US/APAC and will oversee the accounting for WWRD (Worldwide Research & Development) and the non-inventoriable accounting for TOPs (Technical Operations). The role will have 5 direct reports so previous management experience is essential including the ability to coach and mentor the team.
The successful candidate will have experience of working independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and be a strong collaborator with excellent communication skills. Candidate must have strong US GAAP accounting skills and previous experience of managing GL close activities including leading transformation and process improvements initiatives.
- Direct team management of 5 to include development, coaching and review of deliverables.
- Ownership of the accounting for TOPs (non-inventoriable) and WWRD in the US region.
- Partnering directly with TOPs and WWRD business partners to provide accounting guidance and understand business activities that drive the accounting.
- Review of monthly JEs’, reconciliations, variance analysis and SEC & Cashflow PBCs relating to the accounting areas for TOPs and WWRD.
- Contract reviews to determine the correct US GAAP Accounting including providing guidance up-front.
- Presentation of quarterly financial results to Senior Leadership.
- Support both internal and external audits.
- Lead process transformation and efficiencies to include identifying areas for streamlining and improvements.
- SOX - Ensure internal controls are working effectively and propose improvements to support evolving accounting environment.
- Preparation and review of memos relating to significant and unusual accounting transactions.
- Cross-functional collaboration with SEC, F P&A, other regions, and the business.
- Other areas as delegated.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in GL Accounting, preferably with combination of Big 4 audit and public company experience.
- Minimum 5 -7years of people management experience with a passion to develop and advance direct reports.
- Experience of managing monthly GL close activities in a public company.
- ERP systems experience is essential with SAP being an advantage.
- A strong desire to learn and progress
- Excellent communication skills and a strong collaborator.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Be a delegate when required for Senior Director.
- Bachelor’s in Accounting/Business Administration or related
- Certified Public Accountant is essential
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.