Senior Specialist, Lab Systems, RED Laboratory Operations Group
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class or best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
*** This Role is a Lab-Based Role with Onsite Daily Needs in San Rafael, CA ***
BioMarin’s Research and Early Development (RED) group is responsible for advancing drug candidate molecules through early stage discovery and research studies and then advancing identified therapeutics through non-clinical and early clinical development and then marketing and post-marketing life cycle management. The RED Laboratory Operations group partners with RED lab functions to plan, implement, and maintain systems and technologies that facilitate efficient, quality operations and scientific innovation. The Lab Systems team implements and maintains lab equipment, instruments, consumables, and services, as well as lab personnel on-boarding and lab and safety training to ensure efficient, nimble, and scalable lab operations. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Individual will also work closely with the RED groups and scientists and with other functional groups at BioMarin.
Equipment and Instrument Asset Management Lead
- Manage equipment and instrument repairs and preventative maintenance with vendors
- Lead instrument and equipment installation projects with key collaborators and stakeholders (i.e, lab scientists, Facilities, Metrology, and Calibration Services)
- Manage asset tag system of new incoming equipment
- Independently identify and troubleshoot lab equipment and operations related issues
- Oversight of purchasing service contracts
- Independently manage day-to-day lab operations, processes, and systems
- Oversee ThermoFisher Supply Center as well as lab consumables point of use and stockroom areas to maintain and adjust inventory levels per lab staff usage and needs (including vendor management)
- Manage laboratory onboarding of new lab-based employees, lab bench and equipment assignment, and provide necessary lab operations and safety training to lab staff
- Train other Lab Operations team members
- Lead operations efficiency initiatives in partnership with other Lab Systems team members and lab scientists and research associates
- Represent RED Lab Operations Group on EHS&S safety teams and on lab safety audits
- Partner with Facilities and Engineering to 1) plan and complete lab facilities and utilities repairs and/or upgrades with minimal impact to lab operations and scientists’ work; and 2) manage and track ongoing service requests and issues.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform essential job functions within a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Fast pace & frequently moving.
- Squatting, kneeling, twisting, lifting
- At least 6 years of experience in Operations in a laboratory environment, prior team environment preferred
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral), attention to detail, and strong team player
- Ability to balance a broad range of organizational needs with appropriate attention to detail and focus on assigned tasks.
- Ability to handle Operations issues in a fast-paced environment with a customer-focused attitude
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.