Executive Medical Director, US Medical Lead, Hemophilia
Who We Are
From research and discovery to post-market clinical development, our WWRD engine involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with genetic diseases.
This position is embedded in the US Medical Affairs organization and is responsible for medical leadership for BioMarin’s hemophilia medicines and programs. This responsibility includes leadership and direction across US medical team to ensure strategic alignment and integration at the global level of regionally driven priorities.
This individual will interface externally with healthcare professionals, clinical investigators, regulatory agencies amongst others as well as with cross-functional internal BioMarin teams providing medical insights to drive scientific strategy within integrated brand plans and to inform clinical development and life cycle plans related to this therapeutic area.
This individual will be the scientific reference point at the US level, representing the department and the company at key internal and external activities and events in relation to the therapeutic area.
- Lead US medical strategic planning, prioritization, and execution oversight of all Hemophilia medical activities. Assign and align functionally and cross-functionally on objectives, deliverables, roles & responsibilities.
- Partnering with cross-functional BioMarin teams (including marketing, market access and others) in the development and execution of integrated Hemophilia and Roctavian brand and launch strategies.
- Ensuring timely GMAF leadership team awareness and alignment on key program needs and opportunities and ensure representation of medical aligned position in internal and external forums and processes.
- Providing medical input into development, execution and interpretation of clinical protocols. This includes review of draft independent research protocols, reports and manuscripts; oversight of clinical registries and other post-marketing commitment; support evaluation of safety issues in collaboration with Medical Monitors and other teams; review of study results in study reports.
- Develop high-performing US medical Hemophilia team of direct reports and matrix partners
- Direct interaction with investigators, KOLs and the research community to support company initiatives. Responsible for representing BioMarin at scientific, clinical and business development meetings. Promote effective communication between internal and external groups regarding Medical Affairs initiatives
- Responsible for partnering in the cross-functional development of key scientific and medical narrative for core data documents, publications, and communications, including identification of data gaps and proactive resolution of those.
- Drive strategic congress planning for Hemophilia key congresses and align cross-functionally on objectives, key messages and plans at key US conferences.
- Ensure compliance with policies, SOPs, Code of Business Conduct and Corporate Social Responsibility, as well as relevant legislation and regulations
- Ability to work proactively and effectively, with exceptional creative problem-solving skills and self-motivation.
- Ability to lead a cross-functional teams within a matrix type organizational structure
- Ability and agility to develop and maintain scientific and clinical knowledge and expertise to a level required as subject matter expert in hemophilia
- Develop, retain and motivate direct reports (medical directors) and integration with matrix team with clear delineation of accountabilities
- Ability to promote effective communication between internal and external groups. Collaborative and flexible in personal interactions at all levels of the company.
- Able to thrive in an ambiguous and demanding environment, with high capacity for effective relationship building and teamwork.
- Flexibility and adaptability. Sensitivity to a multicultural environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to convince, inspire and motivate people with a variety of backgrounds
- Solid business acumen with high scientific inquisitiveness.
- Willingness to travel approx. 20-40% of the time
- Advanced Degree (M.D. / Ph.D. / PharmD) in Medicine and/or a medical sciences field.
- Very strong Medical Affairs experience required.
- Strong industry experience, especially in Medical Affairs (≥ 7 years).
- Understand US Healthcare compliance landscape. Knowledgeable of current GCP guidelines and compliance rules. Clinical trial and publication experience is desirable.
- Demonstrate excellent medical affairs skills and ideally have working knowledge in the therapy area.
- Experience in hemophilia highly desirable, either in a pharmaceutical/clinical research or a clinical environment.
- Experience in rare diseases or genetic medicine highly desirable.
BIOMARIN GLOBAL MEDICAL AFFAIRS
Purpose: Drive BioMarin’s scientific strategy to enhance patients’ lives and health outcomes through evidence-based use of our medicines in real-world integrated clinical care
US Medical Vision: Build a highly innovative and impactful US medical organization effective in serving our patients and differentiating BioMarin and our products
US Medical Mission: Develop and execute patient-centric, insights-driven medical strategies to improve healthcare outcomes and the appropriate use of our medicines in US through scientific engagement, education, and evidence generation
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.