Director, Lean Deployment Leader (Business Process Improvement)
Who We Are
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Building on the Operational Excellence plan that has been developed across Technical Operations (TOPS), work with key stakeholders to deploy an effective lean management system over the next three years in the US region.
This is a challenging but exciting role as our organization is in the early stages of building a lean culture.
The role will report into the Head of Business Process Improvement (BPI).
- Co-lead lean diagnostics as required within TOPS.
- Deploy lean thinking & systems, mainly within global operations and quality using our standardized deployment approaches.
- Post deployments, provide hyper-care as required.
- Build capability across the OE community to ensure that our deployment methodologies are aligned and are of the right quality.
- Be available to support acute business challenges as they arise, where lean or six sigma methodologies may support effective resolution.
- Work with stakeholders at all levels to deepen OE capabilities within BioMarin.
- Cognitive capability – Ability to learn quickly and to be able to share those learnings to wider colleagues in a way that is understandable.
- Ownership and Accountability – Takes accountability for actions, drives results and able to learn from mistakes. Delivers on promises, goals, and expectations. Makes quality decisions and resolves problems with minimal delay as appropriate. Asks “what can I do to help?”
- Collaborative Leadership - Ability to influence with or without authority, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives, bring teams to consensus/alignment. High tolerance for ambiguity and able to create order from chaos. Builds credibility through solid relationships and solid track record of results.
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively up and down, at all levels of the organization, present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity. Ability to draft and deliver clear and concise procedures or business process documents.
- Planning/Organization - Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt. Able to synthesize large amounts of information. Able to deliver results despite shifting environment.
- Analytical Problem Solving – Ability to identify problems, define problem statement clearly and accurately and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify data-driven root causes. Innovative and effective in solution development, risk mitigation, and execution.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Science, engineering, or business background preferred but not essential.
- Experience of deployment of lean with frontline staff in previous companies is a significant advantage.
- Possession of Six Sigma capabilities is preferred, especially with a track record of completion of green or black belt projects.
- Must have a demonstrated track record in driving performance through self and others.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in industry with some in biopharma.
- Sound knowledge of cGMPs and equivalent industry regulations.
OTHER JOB DETAILS
- This role will be set at Associate-Director/Director level.
- This hybrid role will be based in California and expected to be available to work on site at Novato as it is a deployment role. Hybrid is defined as minimum of 2 days onsite per week.
- To support the business effectively, international travel may be required occasionally.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.