Associate Provost and Executive Director of the Center for Career Education and Professional Development
Suffolk University, a prominent private institution situated in the heart of downtown Boston, seeks a creative, intellectually curious, entrepreneurial and transformational leader for the position of Associate Provost and Executive Director of the Center for Career Education and Professional Development. This is an exciting time at Suffolk University with a new President and Provost, and an enhanced commitment to career education integrated within the experiential education framework that is a hallmark of a Suffolk education. As an institution, we are defined in our founding by our commitment to access, economic opportunity, and social mobility. We currently serve over 7500 undergraduate and graduate students from diverse backgrounds including notable populations of first-generation and international students.
The Associate Provost reports directly to the Provost and will be responsible for bringing to life a reimagined Center for Career Education as highlighted in the Suffolk 2025 strategic plan. This will involve significantly expanding the Center and leading the development and implementation of innovative, comprehensive, and integrated initiatives. The Associate Provost will oversee the strategic deployment of considerable resources. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of leading a high performing team, strong interpersonal and communication skills, a commitment to inclusion and diversity, comfort with data and data-driven decision making, and the capacity to serve as an effective champion for Suffolk students and alumni. Additionally, the Associate Provost will also oversee our entrepreneurial programs in executive education and lifelong learning.
The successful candidate should have a proven record as a leader in strategically building organizational capacities and internal and external partnerships. The new Associate Provost will be responsible for employing innovative approaches to significantly expand, and improve the quality and effectiveness of services that assist students in their professional and academic development; coordinate career education activities and programs across schools for both undergraduate and graduate students. The Associate Provost will engage faculty, senior administrators, and alumni to partner in supporting the career success of students and successfully maintain, market, and promote corporate and employer relations for students and alumni. The Associate Provost will also facilitate student career exploration and alumni career transitions; maintain and bolster relationships with alumni, employers, and friends of Suffolk; and foster a collaborative campus-wide career culture.
Qualifications and Characteristics
This is a tremendous opportunity for an accomplished career education professional or candidates from other backgrounds whose proven understanding of career education and campus culture indicate a capacity to serve as Associate Provost and Executive Director. The successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal qualities:
- A bachelor’s degree is required and an advanced degree is preferred
- A successful track record of leading organizational change through implementation of a strategic plan
- Interest and ability in developing new approaches to integrating career education into an experiential pedagogical framework to serve a wide variety of students including undergraduates, graduate students and international students; a vision for the role of career education in lifelong learning
- Understanding of key skills and competencies for career development in different sectors and knowledge of employment trends; analysis of program outcomes, and partnerships with employers; familiarity with career technology and the ability to leverage these resources
- A demonstrated ability to recruit excellent staff and to motivate, mentor and support them; success in managing people and budget, including the strategic deployment of resources; a keen interest in the professional development and career growth of staff
- Ability to successfully communicate and network with different constituencies
- The entrepreneurial spirit and intellectual curiosity to lead career education efforts that attract new students to Suffolk and help deepen our community engagement; and a commitment to building the reputation and career success associated with Suffolk University
Please attach a complete CV or Resume, as well as a cover letter that describes the way your skills and experience match the characteristics described in the position description. Applications will be considered as they are received, but for best consideration, please apply by March 1, 2020. All applications and inquiries will be handled in strictest confidence. If you would like to discuss this position in confidence, please contact the search committee Chair, Associate Provost Gary Fireman email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status.