Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Suffolk University’s dynamic interdisciplinary health team seeks a 30 hour/week Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. This benefited position is embedded within a healthcare center which provides holistic care to Suffolk University’s diverse student body of undergraduate, graduate and law students. The CHW Psych NP provides mental health evaluations, short-term counseling, prescriptions and ongoing monitoring of medications as medically indicated for student mental health needs in accordance with university, state and federal rules and regulations and nursing standards of care. They consult and collaborate with the CHW interdisciplinary healthcare team, which includes a physician, nurse practitioners, psychologists, social workers, counseling trainees, and medical assistants, to coordinate student treatment plans. This NP practices under a contracted supervisory agreement with a licensed Massachusetts psychiatrist. Two to three years of Psych NP experience with late adolescents and young adults required; experience with college students preferred. Massachusetts license required.
- Provides mental health evaluations and prescribes/monitors mental health medications for Counseling, Health & Wellness (CHW) student patients in compliance with CHW protocols, policies and procedures. Refers student patients for consultation or to specialized healthcare resources for treatment as appropriate.
- Provides mental health consultations to CHW prof Provides emergency mental health care consultation in the Counselor on Call system (approximately 6X/yr) and serves as a member of the student affairs emergency response team during times of campus crises with the supervision of the Director of CHW.
- Completes required documentation in an accurate and timely manner using electronic and other medical records. Participates in quarterly psychiatrist supervision meetings during which time documentation of two annual PNP chart review processes is completed.
- Participates in CHW staff meetings, CHW/Student Affairs professional development programs and Student Affairs divisional meetings.
- 2-4 years of experience as a psychiatric nurse practitioner.
- Current Massachusetts license as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- Current federal DEA license
- Ability to work independently and as part of the CHW team.
- Strong psychiatric and medical knowledge and strong knowledge of regulatory and professional standards.
- Knowledge regarding integrated health care.
- Ability to work with a diverse student population.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in a college health and counseling setting and/or with late adolescents/young adults strongly preferred.