Administrative Coordinator - College of Arts and Sciences
Summary of Position:
As a member of an administrative services team provide complex and diverse office support and serve as a source of information and problem solving for students, faculty, staff and other constituents. Anticipate the needs of faculty and students. Effectively meet the demands of a busy academic office.
- Provide administrative support to students, faculty and any other University personnel. Duties may include, but are not limited to: keeping informed of upcoming deadlines; posting office hours; ordering desk copies of textbooks and following up with the bookstore for text book orders; processing facilities work requests; tracking and ordering office and instruction/teaching and research supplies; attending all faculty meetings and keeping minutes for faculty review.
- Gather data; compose and draft documents and correspondence for presentations, course handouts, grants, conferences, seminars, and reports.
- Support with creating course schedules each semester. This includes gathering data and projecting course offerings for the following academic year, assisting to create class schedules that take into account student needs, faculty preferences and Registrar’s and Dean’s Office guidelines. Ensure data entered into system is up-to-date and accurate.
- Provide administrative support for special projects. Examples of such projects include: events for student academic organizations or honorary societies, events for department alumni, faculty committee meetings, special colloquia or lectures. Duties may include preparing invitation lists, flyers, and other promotional materials; schedules meetings and maintaining schedules; arranging logistics such as conference space reservation and catering; making travel arrangements; keeping records of expenses, applicants, attendance and outcomes.
- Review academic program communication with Manager. Create, maintain, modify, and/or ensure accuracy of content in various academic program documents, displays, reports, brochures, social media, and/or websites. This duty primarily focuses on the content for various academic program websites and materials utilized in advising, recruitment and information for students.
- Provide reception desk coverage and front line support for students. This includes but is not limited to answering phones, greeting and providing information in-person, over the phone and via email.
- Tactfully handle inquiries, answering as many as possible independently and referring others when appropriate.
- Track departmental expenses, reconciling expenses to budget, complete check requests, and create purchase orders, travel expense reports, and reimbursements.
- Support on projects and other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years of relevant experience or a bachelor’s degree is required.
- HS degree or equivalent. BA/BS a plus.
- Strong computer skills including: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) as well as relational database experience (Suffolk uses Ellucian Colleague).
- Excellent written and oral communication as well as organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and high standards for quality of work.
- Ability to understand and work with university policies and procedures including, but not limited to, the Family Educational
- Demonstrates excellent level of customer service and responsiveness.
- Demonstrates experience working in a high volume, deadline oriented customer focused environment.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team. Must be creative and proactive.
- Must be able to handle difficult situations and confidential material with sensitivity and professionalism.
- Ability to take initiative where and when appropriate, but also understand when consultation with Manager, and/or colleagues is necessary.
- Work either standard University business hours 8:45am-4:45pm or a schedule that supports departmental needs. On occasion must be available to work evenings and weekends as needed to staff and support College of Arts and Sciences events including, but not limited to Commencement, Convocation and others.