Analytical Toxicologist III – Quality Assurance Officer
SNA International is seeking an Analytical Toxicologist III to work as a federal contractor within the Armed Forces Medical Examiner System. The position is assigned to the Division of Forensic Toxicology and will serve as a Quality Assurance Officer (QAO) and Laboratory Certifying Official (LCO) for the Division of Forensic Toxicology - Special Forensic Toxicology Drug Testing Laboratory (SFTDTL). The position will be responsible for auditing and reviewing all work products and processes, reviewing data, certifying laboratory results, corrective action measures, and evaluation of standard operating procedures (SOP). Qualified candidates should be able to work as an integral part of the overall laboratory quality assurance program to assure that the laboratory meets the highest level of forensic analytical performance.
- Provides day-to day and administrative data review prior to reporting results to the Services.
- Knowledgeable and certified in the following techniques:
• Advanced Knowledge of immunoassay methodology
• Solid Phase and Liquid/ Liquid Drug Extractions
• Advanced Knowledge of mass spectrometry and compound fragmentation
• Advanced Knowledge of Quantitative Analysis
• Advanced Knowledge of Instrumental Analysis
• Mass Spectrometry (Advanced)
• Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (Advanced)
• Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (Advanced)
• Tandem Mass Spectrometry (Advanced)
- Audit and review all work products and processes completed and performed by the laboratory.
- Responsible for the overall quality assurance of laboratory analytical operations ensuring investigation of all non-conforming events (NCEs).
- Evaluation of laboratory standard operating procedures (SOP) and ensuring laboratory compliance with those standards. Recommend changes to the Section leadership as needed.
- Review data for compliance, accuracy, and completeness to assure that all reported results meet technical and administrative requirements of the laboratory outlined in the SOPs.
- Assures all records of analyses performed are accurate and properly archived.
- Monitor all quality control processes, method development, personnel training and certifications, internal/external audits of laboratory processes, open and blind proficiency performance, and instrument and drug certifications.
- Evaluation of instrument, extraction techniques, analysis protocols and data review.
- Preparation for laboratory inspections by inspectors from certifying and accrediting agencies.
- Maintain logs of analyses performed, equipment problems and solutions, freezer and refrigerator temperature logs and equipment operation logs.
- Maintain the laboratory in a mission readiness status at all times; this requires the QAO to be aware of existing and potential problems concerning laboratory safety, equipment operation, maintain supply readiness and other critical laboratory functions.
- Handle hazardous materials and hazardous waste, ensuring proper safety precautions are taken in storing and disposition of these materials.
- Subject matter expert in Forensic Toxicology for the DoD drug testing program. Serves as a consultant for this program, including on-site analytical troubleshooting and method development. Serves as an inspector for the DoD accreditation program.
- Authorship in peer reviewed journal and/or presentation of scientific data.
- Demonstrate work ethic traits required to maintain good team cohesion and to set a good working example.
- Serves as staff faculty member for training courses sponsored by the Division. These courses are tailored for the specific audiences including military drug testing staff members, military investigative agents, forensic pathology residents, and student interns.
- Perform other job-related duties appropriate to the Division mission as assigned.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
- M.S. in Science-related Field (e.g., Chemistry, Biology, Forensics etc.)
- B.S. in Science-related Field (e.g., Chemistry, Biology, Forensics etc.) and 5 years of experience in which at least 3 years are in Quality Assurance
- Documentation of advanced training in the techniques listed above
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines why you should be considered for this position and position level.
No phone calls please.
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.