Explosives Safety Specialist
SNA International, LLC, is a vibrant, growing company based in Alexandria, VA, and a world leader in forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence services. SNA's staff support high visibility forensic human identification operations, including staffing some of the US's largest federal forensic laboratories.
SNA International seeks a bright, collaborative and innovative Explosives Safety Specialist (ESS) to work in the FBI Laboratory Division’s Quantico, Virginia location, who has a strong work ethic to join our team and work together in pursuit of the same cause: build a safe and just world by empowering organizations in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
The Explosives Safety Specialist assists in performing a range of work involving many different and unrelated processes related to IED and explosives ordinance defeat. ESS personnel must complete an internal training program for working with evidence.
The following list is representative of the types of activities and responsibilities anticipated to be performed by the contractor, but are not limited to the following services:
- Perform and document safety-check practices on all evidence submitted for explosives testing.
- Utilize the Evidence Management Units (EMU) x-ray equipment to produce clear x-rays that are sufficient for accurate interpretation of potentially hazardous devices submitted.
- Perform x-ray interpretation, in collaboration with other qualified individuals, to determine if a device is safe, or needs to be rendered safe, by qualified Special Agent Bomb Technicians (SABTs) or FBI Forensic Device Examiners.
- Assist SABTs in the disposal of, and/or render safe, live explosive devices in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, methods, and procedures.
- Assist in the proper transport and storage of explosive devices and materials in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, methods, and procedures.
- Assist SABTs, or Forensic Device Examiners, in conducting comprehensive assessments if requested.
- Prepare detailed documentation and reports associated with explosives storage, explosives inventory, explosives safety, explosive management program, and range activities.
- Receive, open, and inventory evidence. Initiate and maintain proper evidence administrative documentation, including chain-of-custody of all forensic evidence under examination and be able to perform the duties associated with evidence management and data entry into various databases for evidence processing.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Education: B.S. degree.
- Experience: At least five (5) years handling explosives.
- Skills: Explosives Ordinance Disposal (EOD), performing and interpreting x-ray capture/images, explosives demolitions, explosives safety management, and explosives range safety.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- Certifications: DOD or FBI certification to perform explosives operations.
- Equipment: Steel Toe Boots required for range work or work with power equipment.
Candidates must be US citizens and able to pass a background check, drug screening, and a polygraph (if required).
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines why you should be considered for this position and position level. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.