SNA seeks a bright, collaborative GIS Analyst, with a strong work ethic to join our team. SNA’s team works together in pursuit of the same cause: build a safe and just world by empowering organizations in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
The GIS Analyst will conduct research and field survey using geospatial methods to advance casework and identify sites associated with missing military personnel. The position is located within DPAA’s Indo-Pacific Directorate.
Critical Work Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Conducts research and field survey using geospatial methods to advance casework and identify sites associated with missing military personnel.
- Assists with communications with foreign representatives/embassies and casualty/mortuary offices.
- Conducts research on a diverse array of cases with scattered and scant source material.
- Perform complex geospatial research and analysis into the status of missing American service personnel from past wars.
- Assignments include a variety of duties, to include documentary research, imagery georeferencing, data management, datum conversion, imagery acquisition, historical document interpretation, secondary source readings, geographically bounded studies, field survey, survey mapping, witness interviews, method recommendation, map production, and briefings to Agency leadership.
- Advance investigations into MIAs through data, archive, and field research analysis.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the application of geospatial analytical methods and technology including GIS, Geophysical Survey, and other remote sensing technology.
- Provides technical GIS support for case development, to include creating specialized maps, conducting imagery analysis, geo-rectifying images, managing GIS data, providing technical expertise on remote sensing methodology, and imagery collection.
- Provides high level geospatial analysis that advances cases by synthesizing geospatial, historical, and archaeological data sets.
- Conducts interdisciplinary collaboration with peers (researchers, geospatial analysts, etc.) and incorporate their findings in reports.
- Supports field operation and provides technical GIS support for remote sensing operations and other field investigative/research activities and debriefs field operations personnel to add to the body of knowledge surrounding associated cases, as well as reports.
- Occasional national and international travel as required by the Agency.
- Work directly and independently with clients.
- Completes recurring duties independently, but refers deviations, problems, or unfamiliar situations to the supervisor for assistance.
- Follows all client policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.A./B.S. degree in anthropology, archaeology, geography, geology, or related field and GIS Certificate from accredited GIS/Geography program or equivalent education and experience.
- 1 year of GIS-based field data collection in the fields of Archaeology, Anthropology, Geography, Geology, Natural Sciences, military operations, surveying, or related field preferred.
- GISP Preferred (GIS Certification Institute - GISCI certification).
- High level of proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS and related GIS software
- Possess a broad knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of GIS and analysis as gained through education in geography or its application in a relevant field and relevant job experience.
- Ability to conduct research on a diverse array of cases with scattered and scant source material.
- Ability to apply flexible approaches and versatility to conducting research.
- Knowledge of professional writing styles based on professional experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills evidenced by publication, technical report, and conference presentation record.
- Able to deploy and work in austere field conditions.
- Experience supporting and anticipating client needs and demonstrating problem-solving skills.
- Possess strong attention to detail and excellent recordkeeping skills.
- Possess the ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task, and work well under pressure.
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- A demonstrated history of initiative and achievement
- Able to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that outlines why you should be considered for this position and position level.
No phone calls please.
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.