Technical Artist (Exp/Snr)
Role Overview – Technical Artist (Exp/Snr)
HARDlight is looking for an experienced or senior level Technical Artist to join our team. This is a great opportunity to be part of our current and future projects across mobile and console, working in multiple technical areas of each game. No two days will be the same!
We understand finding a candidate with experience in every area this role requires may be hard so we are happy to hear from people who are driven and can step up and learn new skills. This role will suit someone who can work independently and proactively.
- Work closely with the art team to develop and implement a wide variety of game shaders, visual effects and tools.
- Work with the code team, designers and artists to help solve technical challenges in producing our games and art assets.
- Help create and document efficient pipelines for the art team and pro-actively seek improvements.
- Work with the animators to create efficient rigs for new characters
Export characters/animations/objects and set up in Unity.
- Front-line support for pipeline issues and feature requests from the art team.
- Evaluate new software and new art authoring techniques and keep abreast of new features in the engine
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Experience of writing shaders using CG or HLSL for use in Unity.
- Excellent knowledge of Unity (animation systems, shaders, optimisations, scripting tools, prefabs, particle systems).
- Experience in scripting art tools in 3DS Max and Maya using Maxscript/Python/MEL.
- Able to create custom rigs in 3DS Max/Maya and also use existing rigging systems like Character Studio and CAT.
- Able to demonstrate the creation of visually outstanding particles and effects.
- Experience or an understanding of the creation of art assets for mobile/console games.
- A desire and an understanding of how to optimize games content for memory and performance while maintaining visual quality.
- Proactive in learning and developing your skills to the next level.
- A good eye for visuals and aesthetics.
- Diligent and able to self-manage with a can-do attitude.
- Development experience on a wide variety of mobile platforms (Android and iOS).
- Experience of lighting and light-mapping environments.
- Photoshop scripting.
- Animation experience.
- Knowledge of PBR material workflow.
Why work at HARDlight?
You'll have access to a comprehensive benefits package that includes ULEV car salary sacrifice, life assurance, income protection, private healthcare & dental insurance schemes and an enhanced contributory pension scheme
We offer competitive salaries and a fantastic bonus scheme so that you can stay motivated and focused on making HARDlight the best it can be
For gaming buffs, we offer free SEGA games on Steam and a home technology scheme
Fitness fanatics will love our discounted gym membership and ride to work scheme
We pride ourselves on having flexible working hours to help work fit around you
The opportunity to be a large part of a small team, developing innovative titles with a huge SEGA back catalogue
Based in the ‘Heart of England' in stunning historic Royal Leamington Spa, with great connections to London & Birmingham
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
The role will initially be remote, as we have not returned to the office yet. The expectation is that when we do return to the office, we will be taking a hybrid working approach and you will be expected to work 3 days in and 2 days out of the office.