Lead Hero Designer - New IP
Creative Assembly’s award-winning team behind Alien: Isolation are exploring new frontiers with a brand-new and exciting First-Person Tactical Shooter IP.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for an experienced games designer to join us as a Lead Hero Designer on the project creating a ground-breaking FPS.
The priority will be ensuring the development of exciting playable characters, with a range of amazing thought and play provoking specialities, as well providing guidance on visual design and cosmetics. A broad understanding of monetization, rewards and art production will be enormously helpful in the success of this role.
This role will see the successful candidate working in a mixed discipline team, made up of world-class concept artists, character artists, designers, writers, animators and coders.
As Lead Hero Designer on our project, you will ensure our game heroes match the creative world and vision, providing compelling gameplay. You’ll work closely with production to create and maintain the hero development roadmap and drive the quality of the team’s output. You will ensure deliverables meet quality expectations and communicate goals and vision to team and stakeholders.
This role will see you evangelising the roles of the games heroes across the wider team and work closely with directors and studio leads to develop and implement the character aspect of the game’s vision. You’ll need excellent communication skills and be able to captivate your audience, delivering clear and succinct information to both our developers and those in the senior leadership team. You will apply your proven leadership skills by sharing your expertise with more junior members of the team and helping them develop design skills.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience at a senior level specifically in character class or hero design experience
- System design experience at a senior level
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in the shooter genre
- Experience in AAA game development
- A detailed understanding of hero/class-based shooters
- Able to own a major feature of a game
- Excellent attention to detail and a passion for making quality products
- Previous leadership of a team/feature pod
- UE4 experience
- Strong technical design skills
- Familiarity with agile development processes
- Experience of delivery of a Game as a Service
Currently Creative Assembly is working fully remotely and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation, with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. We will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants, and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support with a dedicated learning and development. We offer among other activities; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite confidential wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy.
- Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.