This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Narrative Lead to join the team behind Total War, Alien: Isolation and Halo Wars 2 on a new project being built in Unreal Engine 5 (UE5). The project is based at our headquarters in Horsham, in the heart of West Sussex, however this role may be based either in Horsham, or at CA North in Newcastle, UK. This can be discussed upon application.
The successful candidate will lead the narrative team and development, weaving the narrative through the player experience in a variety of means and at a variety of levels. Reporting to the Creative Director and working closely with other key stakeholders (internally and externally) to create a compelling and engaging narrative player experience.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role is Hybrid and has an expectation of 1 day every 2 weeks in our Horsham studio. We will consider remote working in exceptional circumstances. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
On a day-to-day basis you will be:
- Lead the narrative development (worldbuilding, plot, characters, tone, themes, voice, style, cinematic direction, editing etc.) to create a compelling and engaging narrative that delivers on the project's vision
- Define, direct and realise the means with which to communicate the narrative
- Communicate and champion the narrative within the team
- Build and mentor the narrative team (eg. from writers to implementors)
- Overseeing, planning and managing the narrative team
- Work with key stakeholders and departments within the team or externally to ensure alignment, prioritisation and delivery of the narrative
- Highlight and maximise opportunities for the narrative to enhance the player experience.
- Excellent understanding of narrative delivery within video games
- Proven experience delivering narrative within a game development environment (cinematics, VO, audio, marketing, external to the game etc.)
- Strong conceptualisation and communication skills
- Strong creativity and imaginative problem-solving skills
- Strong writing and editing ability, with the ability to rapidly iterate
- Strong understanding and experience of game development
- Ability to manage and lead narrative team
- Broad understanding of game design with a focus on narrative
- Natural collaborator with excellent communication and presentation skills
- Open attitude, able to work well in a creative environment, under pressure, adaptable and solution focused
- Passion for the player experience.
- Passion for the role of narrative in the medium of games
- Strong and demonstratable narrative experience
- Varied body of work across multiple genres or styles
- Broad and deep knowledge of game genres
- Strong planning and time management experience.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.