Communications Specialist (Int/Ext) 2017
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Corporate Communications & Energy Services
VP of Corporate Communications and Energy Services
Headquarter – 330 S US HWY 301, Sumterville FL 33585
Based on Qualifications and Experience
Wednesday, 12/27/2017 until Filled
# of Vacancies:
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving nearly 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job: This position is responsible for the development of high-quality publications and visual solutions for all internal and external corporate and departmental print and web communications, including, but not limited to, advertisements, corporate calendars, employee and customer newsletters, billboards, vehicle wraps, posters, corporate reports, promotional displays, videos and other supporting marketing collateral for Cooperative programs and services.
Position Specifications: The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree in commercial art or graphic design, web design or related discipline.
- Two years of experience in commercial art, graphic design, web design or related field requiring design/layout responsibility.
- HTML and web design experience required.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within the design field; understanding of standard industry proofreading marks; possess basic photography skills; demonstrated ability to work with design and layout programs; be creative in the design and layout of communication materials, brochures, presentations, web design, etc.
- Knowledge of social media use in a business setting.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office Products; graphic design tools to include, but not limited to: QuarkXPress, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and other Adobe Creative Suite programs. Proficiency with multi-media programs such as PowerPoint, Presi, Fireworks, Flash or Dreamweaver.
- Demonstrated listening, verbal and written communication skills; accurately prepare all types of office correspondence, design and produce reports and prepare presentations; effective planning and organizational skills with excellent documentation and detail orientation; ability to complete assignments, meet deadlines and work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills for effective interaction with managers, employees, vendors and customers are essential; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all information related to the Cooperative, management, employees and customers; effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Exhibit support of SECO Energy’s Corporate Values and management team in order to achieve corporate goals and objectives.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and punctuality during the established working hours.
- Ability to learn, interpret and follow all SECO Energy safety rules, policies, practices and procedures.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Successful completion of SECO Energy’s employment entrance examination and drug screen.
Physical Requisites and Working Conditions:
- Job duties performed in a normal sedentary office environment. Normal work hours will typically be eight (8) hours from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Duties also include shared weeknight and weekend social media coverage as assigned.
- Physical ability in sitting, stooping, pushing, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, using fingers, grasping, talking, hearing, extended repetitive motions, defined light level work. Visual acuity required as machine operator and as mobile equipment operator.
- Ability to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 10 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Operates a variety of office equipment, including personal computer, printers, telephone and FAX machine.
SKILLS VERIFICATION: The skills required for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
- Prepare and compose the monthly employee newsletter with warm, friendly, journalistic copy to share events at SECO Energy with employees, retirees and their families.
- Assist in defining, formulating and developing marketing opportunities; provide assistance as needed to Communicators; assist with the development of cohesive marketing materials and displays for cooperative office customer lobbies, community and cooperative events and adherence to corporate graphic standards.
- Update and maintain work files, photo and archival files (both electronic CDs and hard copy); maintain all department publications, photo and project archival files.
- Assist with research on topics of importance to our customers and preparation of original editorial copy, as directed.
- Assist with photo shoots; apply understanding of composition, lighting, film type, exposure and lenses for various conditions, compose and shoot advertising and candid photographs using a digital camera; assist with coordination of employee and public relations photo coverage at cooperative events.
- Facilitate the preparation, processing and printing of photos, electronically and from film.
- Recommend and assist with implementation of changes in procedures, format and equipment to improve cost effectiveness and quality of advertising materials.
- Create, update and maintain the corporate Intranet site.
- Provide support for communicators including layout type, photography, illustration, color/paper selection, electronic prepress and press approvals.
- Using web and mixed audio/visual and computer media resources, assist with the production of public relations and marketing materials to be used on the web, in the field, and in our offices, to market cooperative services.
- Assist with generation of story boards and video scripts for the production of multi-media projects.
- Clean and maintain office print equipment, as needed.
1 | Page